Register

Regional and local recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Regional and local recipes

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Renee, my college notes, day 1 of my 3-year course, it was the very first thing we did.

I had made scones many times before, but it focused on the finer points of making them perfect, perfection being the aim of everything we did!

EDIT: P.S. I use butter, the Flora thing was to cut the saturated fat.

Postby Binky » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Rubbed-in method, that takes me straight back to Domestic Science lessons. I used to love Rock Buns; the spicy taste was somehow better than that of a scone.

As the thread is concerning regional recipes, I wonder what we'll all be cooking when aubergines, peppers, exotic mediterranean fruit and veg are either not available or double the price? (this is post-Brexit)

British cookery when I was a child seemed to revolve around meat, suet puddings, carrots, cabbage, potatoes and turnip. I suppose we'll have to resurrect the old recipes when the balloon goes up

:crying2

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:59 pm

That's interesting Sakkarin. 'Too much liquid will produce flat scones'.
I didn't know that, so will be very careful when I make them. It might be better to add the raising agents to plain flour, rather than buying self-raising flour.

Well at least we won't starve Binky!!

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Binky, your post got me wondering so I've started a thread.

I don't think the EU will embargo sales to the UK after Brexit (if we do exit) nor will our government impose import tariffs on food, but when don't costs go up? More so for those on a fixed income, which many are when minimum wage rules. Many are already stretching food, although we might as a microwave nation have lost the knack in most cuisines of making cheap food tasty. Perhaps a revival is around the corner...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Sorry to harp on about scones when there are countless other equally worthy regional favourites (I just thought Eccles Cakes as I typed that...), but I made another batch earlier and as I bit into one I thought I had to take a pic to show how light and fluffy the inside was - recipe exactly as that college one, half portion made with with 50g of cheese, 2 tbs dried fried onions and 1 tsp mixed herbs...

This time mild cheddar, but I forgot to put any extra salt in, so they were marginally underseasoned where the last batch were overseasoned. But delish anyway.

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Don't those look good! :clap :clap They look so much better than the ones that I made using SR flour, so it proved that adding the raising agents separately works better. I used to put a touch of cayenne pepper in mine.

Postby Otterspocket » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Sorry to harp on about scones when there are countless other equally worthy regional favourites (I just thought Eccles Cakes as I typed that...), but I made another batch earlier and as I bit into one I thought I had to take a pic to show how light and fluffy the inside was - recipe exactly as that college one, half portion made with with 50g of cheese, 2 tbs dried fried onions and 1 tsp mixed herbs...

This time mild cheddar, but I forgot to put any extra salt in, so they were marginally underseasoned where the last batch were overseasoned. But delish anyway.

Yum ! My husband claims to make the best cheese scones and have to concede they are usually delicious - mustard powder in his helps to really enhance the cheese flavour. Love them warm from the oven with lashings of very salty butter

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 pm

equally worthy regional favourites (I just thought Eccles Cakes as I typed that...)

I make them occasionally, using the filling recipe from St John and ready made all-butter puff. Delicious :yum

Sometimes I do little ones as after dinner nibbles.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Last time I made Eccles Cakes it was weeny ones, when Marcus Wareing did them on Great British Menu. I dug out the recipe and pic, and realised it was 12 years ago! I've got a problem loading pix at the moment, but it was this programme...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jddr

EDIT: Here's my pic...

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:48 pm

Those look better than the ones made in errrrm… Eccles! :lol: :lol:

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Nah - as good as but not better! I went to Eccles Grammar School and became something of an expert on them while I was there (eating, that is, not making!). Seriously though - they do look very professional.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am

Finally got to taste the MW custard tart this year. :yum

Am going up to London for lunch tomorrow, intend to pop into St John bakery. Eccles cakes are calling me now...

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am

Those Eccles cakes look good enough to eat Sakkers!

So glad the scones went down well Cherrytree. Sorry I didn't say so earlier but I have had dreadful problems with the internet thanks to a massive update to Windows 10 last week took all the month's capacity on the satellite internet and the alternative Livebox keeps going down and has to be rebooted each time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I wish my scones had looked as those in the photo.
I do my cake stall at our Fete du Pain for two reasons. I love community events and this was a chance to do something in a very rural spot and to pay something back for everyone’s kindnesses.
Secondly I do like to fly the flag for British recipes. As Joan has said before, we have such a poor reputation for our cooking that it’s nice to show what interesting things there are. As there are no British people for miles and miles ,all I do is comply unknown and I have great fun with my explanations.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Wow. I may just have to make some scones this week. Haven´t made any for years and years, since my brother made his cheese and bacon ones.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Sakkarin,

Lovely looking scone ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:16 pm

Lancashire Tart. This has just come through to me from Neal’s Yard.

https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/blogs/ ... bd3a73f541

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Welsh Laverbread, bacon & cockles.…………………...

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:43 pm

The tart looks so good Pepper Pig! I live in Lancashire but haven't come across a Lancashire tart. I've never come Cacklebean eggs. Are they from a rare breed bird?

Edit:

I've just looked them up and what a great website!

http://cacklebean.com/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:41 pm

I had one of Suffolk’s scones on Sunday with jam and cream
Yum
Mine are good but perhaps a little too crusty

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox