Gluten, onion and garlic free?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Sloe-Gin

Gluten, onion and garlic free?

Post by Sloe-Gin »

And in a caravan, albeit with gadgets.
That's my challenge for 4 people.
No roast dinners, but casseroles, traybakes etc.
All suggestions gratefully received.
Earthmaiden

Re: Gluten, onion and garlic free?

Post by Earthmaiden »

I think a tray bake as there wouldn't be gravy to thicken. We did a nice simple Jamie Oliver one when I was at cookery classes - I think potatoes, chicken and tomatoes were the main ingredients so no onion or garlic. Can find the recipe if you are interested.
It would probably be nice to have bread to mop with - you could probably get away with buying some GF from a supermarket but Doves website is always good if you want to make from scratch.

Will you also need starter or pudding?
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Mamta has lots of recipes on her site.

https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/search/

I am not sure if all spices are necessarily gluten free though.

You can buy gluten free gnocchi - that in a mushroom and cream and cheese sauce?

But there must be loads of meaty things. Gluten free vegetarian is not so easy, I gather.
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Roast a tray of chicken thighs with vegetables - eg courgettes, peppers, aubergines and mushrooms (and perhaps tomatoes). Flavour with herbs or spices rather than relying on onion and garlic. Serve with baby potatoes.

Chicken in a cream & mushroom sauce, served with rice.

Jacket potatoes with various fillings. Serve with salad(s).

Most simple meals - including a basic roast dinner - naturally avoid gluten; thicken sauces/gravy with cornflour.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ginger is often a good substitute for garlic. Ginger mushrooms or potatoes are a favourite here.

A baked salmon joint, served on samphire, topped with dill, cucumbers and prawns, served with buttered new pots, and a simple salad. Followed by cheese, grapes, celery, and GF crackers. Good luck.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

herbidacious wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:58 pm
I am not sure if all spices are necessarily gluten free though.
Pure spices will be gluten free but seasoning mixtures might contain a small amount

As Suelle says, cornflour is gluten free so are arrowroot, potato starch, and tapioca starch.

I think I’d find the onions and garlic more difficult than gluten, potatoes and rice are gluten free, but obviously not impossible. It occurs to me I don’t tend to use alliums so much with fish or cured meats
Sloe-Gin

Post by Sloe-Gin »

When I was making the chutneys, I spent a day with the Coeliac society, so I did know about cornflour v flour etc.
Thank you for your suggestions. Torn between a tagine type traybake and chicken in a creamy lemon sauce (an old Marguerite Pattern fricasse recipe). Both with rice.
But the again...
Seatallan

Post by Seatallan »

I like the sound of both SG lick lips
scullion

Post by scullion »

you can get ready made gluten free puff pastry (jusrol) from tesco if you want to go down a 'pie' route to make it feel a little less of an obviously adapted meal.
i have made a vegetarian version of sabrina ghayour's bastilla with it (and with quorn) for a meal that included a coeliac guest. very tasty.
as in a previous thread, asafœtida, is said to give a flavour of leek (not really noticed it myself) and recipes for hare krishna followers are allium free - you can probably find a few more sites on the web.
Sloe-Gin

Post by Sloe-Gin »

We (or rather they) have suggested afternoon tea, so they are not driving home in the dark (I empathise with that one).
She has suggested cake or scones.
This fills me with horror.
I have thought:
G F sausage rolls (they don't fill me with horror)
Plain scones (a little horror) with jam and cream
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fru ... enta-cake/ :o :shock:

She has requested no dried fruit. I loath nuts, coffee, chocolate and apple cake. In fact, if I never ate cake ever again, I wouldn't miss it! (Ok, a little slice of Christmas cake....)
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Suelle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm Roast a tray of chicken thighs with vegetables - eg courgettes, peppers, aubergines and mushrooms (and perhaps tomatoes). Flavour with herbs or spices rather than relying on onion and garlic. Serve with baby potatoes.
DiL did that, with feta cheese and with citrus zests, rosemary, oregano and thyme and a bit of lemon juice for flavouring. It was absolutely delicious.

Rice pudding or fruit with yoghurt and nuts for dessert.
scullion

Post by scullion »

i would hit the 'free from' aisle in the supermarket, then and save yourself a load of effort. there's cake, biscuits and snack bits there that you can guarantee are free of gluten.
pretty sure you can get gluten free pizza, too, if you need a savoury hit, gf crackers and cottage cheese, humous (homemade without garlic) or other topping.

if you are making sausage rolls you have to be careful of the rusk used in making the sausage meat (unless you make it yourself).
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Sorry, but to be expected to produce a GF afternoon tea in a van when you are not used to GF baking seems a bit much to me. GF flour needs some experimentation. That said, as mentioned before, I find Doves recipes quite good (if you are near anywhere which sells the right flour). I'm also thinking meringues from a good cake shop and GF bread from a supermarket!

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/hints-&-tip ... out/gluten
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Sloe-Gin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:40 pm We (or rather they) have suggested afternoon tea, so they are not driving home in the dark (I empathise with that one).
She has suggested cake or scones.
This fills me with horror.
I have thought:
G F sausage rolls (they don't fill me with horror)
Plain scones (a little horror) with jam and cream
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fru ... enta-cake/ :o :shock:

She has requested no dried fruit. I loath nuts, coffee, chocolate and apple cake. In fact, if I never ate cake ever again, I wouldn't miss it! (Ok, a little slice of Christmas cake....)
I agree with the others - go shopping for what you're not confident about cooking. The polenta cake should be OK, but I wouldn't tackle pastry without a few trial runs.

I worked on a shortcrust gluten-free pastry which I used for desserts such a chocolate and lemon tarts, when I saw a G-F friend regularly, but it would have been too difficult to handle for sausage rolls! There's much more available in shops now.
Sloe-Gin

Post by Sloe-Gin »

I have found GF jus-rol puff pastry and GF sausages, so OK with that (we do quite often make our own S rolls in the van).
I am going to take all your advice and buy the rest.
That way, I'll get to enjoy seeing them, not stress about the food. And I would stress about making a GF cake and would need to practise, you're right, EM.
I've had a look on Tesco website and see I have a plethora of GF bakery goods from which to choose!
Phew, thank you.