Guardian Feast App

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Stokey Sue

Guardian Feast App

Post by Stokey Sue »

Last night a link in my online Guardian prompted me to download the new Feast app. So I did.

At the moment it’s an iPhone/iPad app but apparently Android is coming soon. You need to be running iOS 17 or higher.

You don’t need a Guardian subscription, you can just sign up to the app - you do have to do that to use it. Having a Guardian subscription unlocks more but I’m not sure exactly what, as I’m signed in with my account I get everything there is.

What it is, is essentially a very good search function for Guardian recipes that presents the results clearly, then when you open the recipe it is formatted to follow easily on a small screen.

A search for tofu turned up 32 recipes, all illustrated, including all the Guardian stalwarts like Ottolenghi and Meera Sodh.

I’m quite impressed - anyone else?
liketocook

Re: Guardian Feast App

Post by liketocook »

Oh I do hope the app comes to Android soon, I have so many Guardian recipes pinned to my favourites folder as I dind the current search function very poor. :crossed
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Oh that’s good to know , thanks Sue
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Underneath the Feast App was an app called Saintify... :?

Thanks for the heads up re the Feast App, Sue.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

I'm tempted, I see the Feast magazine every weekend, but I've stopped reading it. I would find something I "needed" to bake, and we ended up with a lot of stuff to eat.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I saw it advertised but then not a available on android so they can lump it.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

It seems you need a subscription to access recipes. Or demands one of me. Did you click on any recipes, Sue?
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

As I said, I’m not clear how it works if you are not signed in with your Guardian account,pppaccount, as I’ve been signed in from download. I see the recipes
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I did sign in via my Guardian account. But I don't pay a sub to them. Is that what you mean by a pppaccount?
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Sorry, repeat keys

Yes as I said in the first post, I have a subscription, and I know this gives different access to signing in without a paid subscription. But, as I said, don’t know what the difference is.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Earthmaiden wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 pm I saw it advertised but then not a available on android so they can lump it.
According to the info. I saw ' It will be coming soon to Android later this year.'

It also said
'The Guardian Feast app is available for a 14-day free trial, followed by £2.99 per month in the UK, €2.99 in EU, $3.99 in the US and Australia, and $2.99 in Canada and the rest of the world for a monthly subscription, with an annual option also available.'

Not sure what sort of subscription you have, Sue.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

For the avoidance of doubt, I subscribe to the Guardian newspaper delivered through an app to my iPad or read onlin.
It seems I get the full version of Feast included.

I knew you didn’t get all the content of Feast if you weren’t already a subscriber but I didn’t know what you do get, because I don’t see that.

I really think this is pretty clear in my original post. I said I had a “Guardian subscription”. I don’t know what else a “Guardian subscription” would be other than some kind of a paid account with the Guardian.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Sorry, Sue, I get brain fog (aka periodically become distressingly stupid) and yesterday was particularly bad. Unfortunately I don't always know how bad I was until it's lifted. I was clearly confusing having an account with a subscription. We buy the physical paper so don't have a sub as well.
I probably can't get the app on my iPad even if I did have a subscription. It's old and I've not been able to update the iOS for a long time.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Just had a look at the blurb about the app, re access for subscribers, it just says:

"Will I get free access as an existing Guardian supporter?"
"Please log into the Feast app with your Guardian account to check whether you are eligible for free access."