Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Pepper Pig

Re: Soup

Post by Pepper Pig »

People used to refer to Jane Grigson's as the classic one but it doesn't use many parsnips.

https://www.larecettedujour.org/2011/10 ... p-soup.php
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Yes, I love Grigson’s curried parsnip soup. Used to make it often.

Today I made a simple minestrone - fried a few lardons in a little evoo, added a chopped onion then crushed garlic followed by chopped or shredded carrots, celery, leeks, green beans, canned chopped tomatoes, and cooked haricots with their cooking liquid. Slung in a Parmesan rind, seasoning and a pinch of Italian herb mix. About a cup of each veg. Simmered. Will add a little cooked pasta to each lunch portion, but as I hadn’t had lunch I had a small bowl before supper as a starter.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

I always make parsnip and apple; I've never made curried parsnip.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We’ve just bought a ninja soup maker…partly to wean OH off preprepared soups. We’ve had one good and one bad soup so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for this machine? We usually just cook in a pan and blitz if necessary, but I’m hoping the ‘gadget-ness’ might appeal to OH. I think lentil soup is next, but parsnip, and cauli sound good too.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Pepper Pig wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:54 pm People used to refer to Jane Grigson's as the classic one but it doesn't use many parsnips.

https://www.larecettedujour.org/2011/10 ... p-soup.php
That’s actually the blogger’s take on the recipe, and having checked the original recipe I also vary it, but not so much.
JG uses 1 parsnip (but I think she means one of the big ones you feed to cattle or use for soup), onion, garlic, a little flour, beef stock, a lot of butter and cream and only a teaspoon of commercial madras curry powder; I think I use a bit more but you really don’t need much.

I would say I use a small onion or equivalent amount of shallot, a small clove of garlic and about 500g parsnips all peeled chopped and cooked slowly together in butter before adding curry powder, seasoning and veg stock and simmering, then blitz and add cream. I omit the flour, she use 3oz of butter which soaks into the flour, I use less butter and more parsnip so don’t need it, she has an odd tendency to stick a spoonful of flour into things “just in case”
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

The recipe I use is parsnip, onion, veg stock & curry powder or paste, cooked with a potato to thicken it, all liquidised and a large spoonful or two of milk powder added at the end.

ETA - at this time of year there might be some cream lying around that needs using up which would sub for the milk powder.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Amber wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:40 pm We’ve just bought a ninja soup maker…partly to wean OH off preprepared soups. We’ve had one good and one bad soup so far. Does anyone have any recommendations for this machine? We usually just cook in a pan and blitz if necessary, but I’m hoping the ‘gadget-ness’ might appeal to OH. I think lentil soup is next, but parsnip, and cauli sound good too.
I think it's EM who's recently bought a soupmaker.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Yes I did. It's a bit of an unnecessary luxury but makes wonderfully smooth soup when that is what is required and it's very easy to use. I'm more of a 'hurl in everything from the fridge which needs using' soup person than planning specific flavours (and I'm sorry but parsnips and curry powder are amongst my biggest food hells!). I think if you don't want a middle eastern or Indian influence to a parsnip soup that lots of garlic and creaminess is the way to go

Someone, I don't think here but maybe it was, was singing the praises of celeriac and apple recently.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I agree it’s a luxury but needs must…🙄

Leek and potato soup was nice, but needed salt - which we’re trying to avoid. Lentil, red pepper and sweet potato is next…..
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Thanks everybody . I’ve been ill in bed with a cold all day today but if hopefully feeling better tomorrow, I think I’ll do a version of the Jane Grigson recipe . I like a bit of spice with root veg and will help the cold
scullion

Post by scullion »

hadn't read this thread lately but coincidently bought a couple of bags of parsnips the other day because i fancied spicy parsnip soup and they were reduced to a silly price.
so, i bunged in a pot
about a kilo of parsnips,
a couple of carrots
a couple of onions,
a couple of big cloves of garlic
half a mushroom stock cube
about a rounded tsp of marigold bouillon
a heaped tsp or more of suya powder (i made it for a dish 'last year' (including grains of selim).
a little cayenne
salt and pepper
olive oil for frying veg.
and enough water to loosen as needed.
cook then whizz up.
it hit the spot
RockyBVI

Post by RockyBVI »

I’m going to try parsnip soup. Sounds delicious.

I made a batch of pea and ham soup using the stock from the Christmas gammon. I loosely based it in Felicity’s one in the Guardian, but as I could only get yellow split peas (not green) I added fresh peas in when I blitzed it to make it a pleasing green colour. It’s rather delicious if I do say so!
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Any spare parsnips could well be used in the JO recipe for parsnip and pancetta pasta. I think the original might be tagliatelle, but it’s bacon, parsnip, pecorino and any old pasta hereabouts. It becomes our seasonal pasta dish for the first few weeks of the year.

I got some suya mixed nuts at the Benington chilli festival. Didn’t notice if they sold the powder separately.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Forgot to say I made a fab French onion soup with the scrapings from the COOK turkey thigh and the end of the waitrose no. 1 turkey gravy. Really excellent. The tbsp of cognac before serving transformed it from OK to fab. I used a Lindsay Bareham recipe from her Soup book.

I think some form of parsnip soup for us today as well.
scullion

Post by scullion »

Badger's Mate wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:26 am I got some suya mixed nuts at the Benington chilli festival. Didn’t notice if they sold the powder separately.
this is the recipe i made the suya powder for.
the recipe for the powder is also in the link - it went very well in the parsnip soup.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Both the mix and recipe look really good, scully. I wonder what the book is like.
scullion

Post by scullion »

i've just had a look - there are a lot of tasty sounding recipes.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Well the soup was delicious . Cooked one chopped onion , five quite skinny parsnips , three cloves of garlic and a heaped spoonful of curry paste in oil till soft . Added a garlic and thyme stock cube and water , then simmered for ten minutes . Blended , added a slug of cream and seasoned
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Ameew, you’ve clearly got a natural feel for flavour combinations.

We’ve got some leek & potato defrosting. I’ll put a loaf on today and it will be tomorrow’s lunch. I also use it as the base for celeriac soup; in other words, leek, potato & celeriac. There is some root parsley on the plot, I ought to try the same thing with that.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Ottolenghi’s soups in today’s Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/j ... ottolenghi