Ice cream

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Stokey Sue

Re: Ice cream

Post by Stokey Sue »

I've just had a very nice soft serve vanilla dairy ice cream made with Jersey milk, from Peggy Loves Ice Cream, who have a place in the back of the Rose & Crown pub

They don't have a web site, just Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/peggylovesicecream/

I ate it in the old churchyard listening to the robins having a rap battle, very nice
scullion

Post by scullion »

it was obviously an ice cream day!
i had a hotel chocolat one. their idea of a chocolate ice cream is not mine.
it seems they only do one ice cream (white - i'm assuming vanilla - though wasn't highly flavoured) with a little swirl of chocolate sauce and a long shard of dark chocolate shoved in.
it wasn't large and i didn't consider it was worth the expense by a long way - the equivalent of a small mr whippy for 3.45 (-20%). shan't be doing that again.
i realised, when it was being squirted out of the machine, that my go-to treat ice cream while in truro was a thornton's one. unfortunately they are no longer there.
i did sample a couple of their gins while there...
Binky

Post by Binky »

We used to be regular customers of Hotel Chocolat until we discovered that palm oil was an ingredient in their chocolate selection boxes. We now buy only from Love Cocoa, a tiny company founded by a Cadbury, and the chocs are the best. I use their chocolate sprinkles in ice cream and on my hot chocolate nightly treats. :D
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

That's the one KC posted. I love strawberry ice cream.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

The best strawberry ice cream I’ve ever eaten was “wild” strawberry in Italy, with little pieces of fruit in it lick lips

I need to try the condensed milk/cream recipe again, I could taste the condensed milk too strongly when I tried it but I think my sense of taste was off at the time.
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

Well, I shall be buying ice cream for the foreseeable future. Daughter has borrowed my ice cream maker to have a go at making ice cream.

Does anyone know if the Cusinart machine that does not need a pre frozen bowl (the one Binky has) can be moved when not in use please?
Amber

Post by Amber »

There used to be a recipe on the back of a Carnation label for ice cream made with tinned strawberries. The height of sophistication for my boyfriend and I…age about sixteen :D .
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Tinned strawberries were such a treat when I was a child that we usually only had them at Christmas. I still adore them and the thought of making ice cream with them sounds wonderful! lick lips
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

slimpersoninside wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:33 pm Well, I shall be buying ice cream for the foreseeable future. Daughter has borrowed my ice cream maker to have a go at making ice cream.

Does anyone know if the Cusinart machine that does not need a pre frozen bowl (the one Binky has) can be moved when not in use please?
Yes, I have mine stored in a cupboard and bring it out when making ice cream.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

My grandfather loved tinned strawberries, even as a child I loathed them. As an adult I appreciate I only like raw strawberries, jam is ok, but not a favourite
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

You've made me remember tinned strawberry pie filling .. lick lips. Sorry, deviating from ice cream.
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

Pampy wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 pm
slimpersoninside wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:33 pm Well, I shall be buying ice cream for the foreseeable future. Daughter has borrowed my ice cream maker to have a go at making ice cream.

Yes, I have mine stored in a cupboard and bring it out when making ice cream.
Thanks Pampy, I didn't realise you also have the machine I would covet if I started making it regularly. I and daughter would need to store one in a cupboard if we ever get one.
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

I popped into Lidl this avo as I was driving past after visiting daughter. Found some Golden Milk Turmeric latte flavour ice cream with ginger and finely chopped almonds.

It was very nice 😋
halfateabag

Post by halfateabag »

Sounds delish Patsy, nice to see you, sorry about the doggy..... :(
Binky

Post by Binky »

Today's ice cream -- pistachio

Made 45 mins ago with cream, milk, sugar, vanilla essence and pistachio syrup.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Ah! Pistachio syrup! That was the flavouring ingredient I hadn't thought of. Looks and sounds delicious.