Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
aero280

Re: Chatterbox

Post by aero280 »

I've only seen this advertised on TV, so no experience of them, but it may be the sort of thing you are looking for.

https://www.kitchen-magic.com
Amber

Post by Amber »

oat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:13 pm I'm not saying I'm indecisive but…
I am the most indecisive person I know.
Only because you haven’t met me and OH😉😄.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Stokey Sue wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:37 pm The first bathroom I remember was black and white, 1930s art deco, nice
Snap!

I hadn't heard of wrapped doors before but think mine are that (Howdens circa 2006). They have a plastic coating which is now loose in places and cracked in others (not too noticeable). I have been wondering if it would be feasible to peel all the plastic stuff off and paint the doors when they get too bad. I hadn't even realised there was a coating for years.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Yes that’s the stuff, looks like lacquer when it’s new, reveals itself to be a kind of upmarket Fablon as it ages - I think it’s shrunk on with hot air.

I also went Shaker style, which I wouldn’t do again, too many crevices.
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

oat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:12 pm Patsy, friend had fridge freezer wrapped it looked great and still does after 3 years.
Not so good on the larder units. She is now thinking of having them spray painted :o
I would probably do it in a bathroom, but not my kitchen
Thanks for that Oat. I will keep to my original plan :thumbsup
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

My parents had a black and white bathroom in the first house I lived in (mived aged 4). They actually had black bath. That would not work in London. (The water was soft in Halifax.)
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

One of those rare cookery processes you need asbestos gloves for!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/261026976879893
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Fascinating! Not sure what I'm watching. Is it puffed rice?
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

Earthmaiden wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:00 pmIs it puffed rice?
I think so.

I was actually thinking of trying a method I saw recently to make some, which involved heating up grey salt (no idea where I'd get that) in a wok and then adding raw rice, which puffs up virtually immediately, then sieving the rice from the salt. Another video I saw used sand...
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

It looks as though it would work if heated in the same way as popping corn. I wonder if certain types of rice work better than others.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Sakkarin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:31 pm
Earthmaiden wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:00 pmIs it puffed rice?
I think so.

I was actually thinking of trying a method I saw recently to make some, which involved heating up grey salt (no idea where I'd get that) in a wok and then adding raw rice, which puffs up virtually immediately, then sieving the rice from the salt. Another video I saw used sand...
To be honest I think any coarse crystalline salt would work, it’s obviously there only for heat transfer, but the grey salt I have is sel gris de Guérande, unrefined large crystal (gros sel) sea salt from Brittany, I got mine in TK Maxx! It’s good for salt mills

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sel_gris
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

Earthmaiden wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:45 pmIt looks as though it would work if heated in the same way as popping corn
I've tried it in the past (when I was experimenting with sev) and it does "pop" slightly when treated like popcorn, but not the huge popped pieces in those videos - in the end I used the "poha" rice flakes you can see here in the "Bushey Mix"...
foodforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4444&hili ... 40#p101190
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I thought this was interesting. He uses a whole pan of oil - certainly not what I would do with popcorn. Every grain must end up coated.The cooked rice is just fried rice surely? Not proper puffed rice. https://youtu.be/q7S3yDCDTkM?si=V2o9rYLG8xkguQe3
It does seem to need sand or salt for the heat transfer.
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

Earthmaiden wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:10 amIt does seem to need sand or salt
Sand or salt or one of those lethal-looking oriental devices!

The recipe I use for Pilau Rice involves briefly frying the raw rice grains and occasionally I leave it too long and it pops. I know from that experience that it doesn't pop up very much that way, hence my interest in methods that DO work.

I think the use of the grey salt was partly so you could see it against the white rice grains, so you could tell it had all been sieved off. I have shedloads of rock salt including Guérande (which was an intentional buy), but the rest are mostly where I've bought chunky salt by mistake instead of fine salt.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Guérande is sea salt, made by natural evaporation, not rock salt which is mined.
If you ever get the chance to visit one of the rock salt mines that do tours, they are a bit touristy but great fun, with some genuine wow moments.

I wonder if ceramic baking beans would work for the heat transfer or if they’d be too big compared to the rice grains? Mine are a little bit bigger than dry haricots.
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

Stokey Sue wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm Guérande is sea salt not rock salt
"Lumpy" salt then.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Still on the theme of 'puffed' cereals. I'm watching Great British Menu and a chef has done puffed quinoa. Has anyone tried to do this? It looked like a good use for it.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Last time I went to The Artichoke in Amersham (1 Michelin Star) we had puffed something or other in one of the in-between bites - it could have been quinoa - it didn't taste of anything and certainly didn't add anything.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Earthmaiden wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:22 pm Still on the theme of 'puffed' cereals. I'm watching Great British Menu and a chef has done puffed quinoa. Has anyone tried to do this? It looked like a good use for it.
I liked cooked quinoa but never heard of having it puffed!!
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Just googled 'puffed quinoa' and found they sell it in bags at local supermarkets!! but didn't find any instructions for how to do it, or if you can use regular quinoa!

https://www.coles.com.au/product/wellne ... 0g-4658247