Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Earthmaiden

Re: Chatterbox

Post by Earthmaiden »

I had no idea! I'll pop over to Coles :D.

PP - I think of puffed cereals either as more of a breakfast thing to have with milk etc. or as a snack food like popcorn. Quinoa is supposed to be good for you. I can't say I'm mad about it as a savoury grain. I know people soak it overnight in milk or water and say it turns into an edible 'porridge'. I haven't tried it. Puffed sounds nicer!
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

You can buy puffed quinoa - they mention that it’s gluten free, which could be handy, and it’s naturally high in protein.

https://hodmedods.co.uk/products/quinoa-puffs
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Someone at my gardening club on Wednesday mentioned puffing amaranth seeds.
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

Badger's Mate wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:29 am Someone at my gardening club on Wednesday mentioned puffing amaranth seeds.
I imagine anything whole grain can be puffed. Popcorn is easy. Have a go.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Yes, popcorn is easy. There was a suggestion that different temperatures/kinds of heat might be required for some other grains. I look forward to trying though.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

The idea of quinoa as a porridge fills me with a certain ambivalence. I like oatmeal and I like congee (especially the accompaniments) but chia porridge is the most inaccurate homophone I can think of.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

Kumquats!

I made an impulse buy of some kumquats in Costco yesterday. What can I do with them???
aero280

Post by aero280 »

I had a look online and wasn't inspires, so i amalgamated a few bits and pieces and I have done an upsidedown cake. Basically halved kumquats on a syrupy base covered in a Victoria sponge mix.

It's in the oven now. I have no idea what it will be like.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

I once searched high and low for kumquats for a recipe that was a sort of Vietnamese version of duck à l’orange. It had roasted clementines and kumquats in it. I eventually got some from Loon Fung once the season kicked in. Mrs B quite liked the dish, except for the kumquats…