Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
KeenCook

Re: Foodies In The News

Post by KeenCook »

Sue, it looks GREAT! I'd go for the menu canut, for sure, and I have a feeling OH would be really happy too, as we spent several weeks in Lyon when he was conducting a Gavin Bryars opera there and he had one of the most memorable meals of his life there! I can't remember what I had, but it was wonderful. It was in Old Lyon, in a very down-to-earth restaurant. We were at a long table with several guys (we thought they looked like truck drivers :D ) and they got to the end of their meal and started again!

I wonder if the menu is lunchtimes only?
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Does look good!

Pike, turd-flavoured rubber, floating islands I think…
Amber

Post by Amber »

Busybee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:34 am
Pepper Pig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:23 am One for the North Yorkshire contingent. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... ant-review
Wow, we drive past this place fairly frequently- didn’t realise it was so fabulous, it’s fairly unassuming from the road. We will definitely give it a go at some point. Loved the bit about Yorkshire portions plus it being the law that if there is a garden centre it has to have a tearoom serving Yorkshire tea. Quite right too. And Yorkshire folk would take the gold medal in chuntering.

BB
Local reviews aren’t always 100%. But it is on our local bus route, so on our list to try.

But, did anyone read down to the end of the article? About the school kitchens? What a good idea. I’m looking forward to trying it soon. Does anywhere else do this?

(Bb, if you’re passing, you must be also very near to realitea and the deanery. Both get very good reviews. We’ve been to both, but not recently.)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Not quite ‘Foodies in the News’, but would you welcome this? There are several (Sam Smiths) pubs that don’t have wifi (and have a mobile phone ban) and I generally support them, but it’s surprisingly hard to cooperate with at times eg meeting/rendezvousing with friends in a strange town.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifesty ... byCsIVqAcI
Smitch

Post by Smitch »

I can’t read the article as it is behind a paywall. However, I wouldn’t support a Sam Smiths pub. Humphrey Smith is awful, he treats pub tenants appallingly, and his behaviour when the bridge at Taddy was damaged in floods was disgraceful.

The Sam Smiths pub in Manchester City centre is nasty anyway.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Amber wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:50 pm But, did anyone read down to the end of the article? About the school kitchens? What a good idea. I’m looking forward to trying it soon. Does anywhere else do this?
It'll be interesting to see how it works out. Such very different usage for the same kitchen in a quick turnaround time.
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

Amber wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:14 pm
Busybee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:34 am
Pepper Pig wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:23 am One for the North Yorkshire contingent. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... ant-review
Wow, we drive past this place fairly frequently- didn’t realise it was so fabulous, it’s fairly unassuming from the road. We will definitely give it a go at some point. Loved the bit about Yorkshire portions plus it being the law that if there is a garden centre it has to have a tearoom serving Yorkshire tea. Quite right too. And Yorkshire folk would take the gold medal in chuntering.

BB
Local reviews aren’t always 100%. But it is on our local bus route, so on our list to try.

But, did anyone read down to the end of the article? About the school kitchens? What a good idea. I’m looking forward to trying it soon. Does anywhere else do this?

(Bb, if you’re passing, you must be also very near to realitea and the deanery. Both get very good reviews. We’ve been to both, but not recently.)
Amber - Realitea sounds right up our street, it has been pencilled in for when the car next goes into the garage. We usually leave it and walk into Ripon and have breakfast/lunch and mooch around until it’s ready.

BB
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Amber wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:50 pm Not quite ‘Foodies in the News’, but would you welcome this? There are several (Sam Smiths) pubs that don’t have wifi (and have a mobile phone ban) and I generally support them, but it’s surprisingly hard to cooperate with at times eg meeting/rendezvousing with friends in a strange town.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifesty ... byCsIVqAcI

I really disagree with this . Yes people can be a bit too over attached to their phones but if someone was trying to get hold of you in an emergency and couldn’t , you’d feel awful afterwards . Even more prosaically , if a friend was running late to meet you or you were wanting to see if your bus /train was delayed . Just generally taking photos of a nice meal or special get together too
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

‘Don’t use your phone at the bar’ seems a reasonable compromise to me.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I can't get through the paywall to read the whole article but get the gist. Phones are such a part of life now that it's not 5 minutes before someone reaches for theirs at least to look something up or check something. That is very different to having loud conversations or taking photos all over the place. I think a small area where you could go to make or check for urgent calls, to look things up etc. Is a good idea. What really disappoints me is that so many people see nothing wrong with being on their phone continuously in a social situation without very good reason :(.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

From a restaurant's pov. if you ban phones don't you lose all those lovely Instagram pics? That might be defined as shooting yourself in the foot
Amber

Post by Amber »

Interestingly neither article is behind a paywall for me.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I
Amber wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:41 pm Interestingly neither article is behind a paywall for me.
Came up with a paywall for me!
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I’ve seen a few posts on socials about this, put simply the Uber Eats “restaurant of the year” (sic)is a Bristol shop called Sandwich Sandwich, and it’s opening a branch in the City of London
https://www.thecaterer.com/news/sandwic ... ich-london
Fine, huh?
Then you see the sandwiches (warning: not for the sensitive)
https://www.tiktok.com/@foodreviewclub/ ... 1363485958
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Not sure what thread this belongs in, if any, but interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68452019

Criticisms of the scientific validity of ZOE and similar 'science based' diets.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

If it belongs anywhere possibly the healthy eating thread?

No surprise to anyone who actually know much about diabetes, the physiology of digestion or indeed eating disorders. Medical Twitter for example has been quite angry about it for a while.

ZOË seems determined to make everyone panic about normal blood glucose spikes - how else does the creepy rheumatologist think the energy from food crosses the gut wall and gets to the cells that need it? Food is broken down in the gut - the bulk stuff mainly to sugars, amino acids and scraps of lipids (fats). The blood goes straight from the gut through the hepatic portal system to the liver which starts to sort it out, a bit like putting away the Ocado order I suppose. This brings down the blood sugar pretty fast - which is why if it’s just a spike it’s not a problem. In diabetes of course the problem is not spikes but persistent high sugar, and avoiding big spikes that feed the high values is worthwhile.

O level biology. There’s been a lot learned about how the body’s control systems do this since I did the O level in (checks notes) 1970 but that basic scenario is still there.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Someone has just posted this on Twitter with the heading “Is this peak Guardian”? :D :D

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... g-tom-hunt

Felicity has been baking for tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... ity-cloake
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Pepper Pig wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:19 pm Someone has just posted this on Twitter with the heading “Is this peak Guardian”?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... g-tom-hunt
HaHa :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »