Aldi/Lidl specials - recommendations

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Sloe-Gin

Aldi/Lidl specials - recommendations

Post by Sloe-Gin »

Aldi have some 'specials' in, which are really delicious; Atkins and Potts Wasabi and Lime dressing is my favourite (and last week, i asked the farm shop to order it in, too, which they agreed to do), but it's appeared in Aldi this week. Plum and balsamic chutney is also very good and I bought red onion and Jalapeño to try.

https://www.atkinsandpotts.co.uk/produc ... -dressings
KeenCook

Re: Aldi/Lidl specials - recommendations

Post by KeenCook »

No Aldi round here, but Lidl's current country week is Greece (some interesting Cyprus specials, Moira :D )
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

KeenCook wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:38 pm , but Lidl's current country week is Greece (some interesting Cyprus specials, Moira :D )
The Greek items will probably turn up in two weeks time. I will google Lidl UK to check the Cypriot specials

Moira
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Weird, I went back to post the link for you, Moira, and now can't see anything from Cyprus ... Maybe I imagined it!
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

Thanks KC, I did manage to find Lidl UK, I would be interested to know the quality of the olive oil sold at that price.

Moira
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I usually have two olive oils in use - a cooking grade and a salad one. Recently it has been a case of grab anything you can get at a decent price, but their Primadonna evoo is my default for the cooking one, better and cheaper than the other supermarket own brands imo - you have to be careful when judging price though, in different stores it comes variously in 500ml, 750ml and litre bottles and the difference between the two larger bottles isn’t striking.

Don’t think I’ve tried the Eridanous premium version though.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

The Italiamo artichokes in Lidl's Italian week at the moment must be the best value ever! 6 complete hearts in sunflower oil for £1.99! Yum!!
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

If anyone spots provolone piccante in LIdl please do let me know. It's quite hard to get hold of full stop.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Yes, it was there, I got some, piccante, and there was dolce available too
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

None in ours on Wednesday alas. Did Italian week start yesterday? I didn’t see any displays at all. Will look again tomorrow.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

herbidacious wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:46 pm None in ours on Wednesday alas. Did Italian week start yesterday? I didn’t see any displays at all. Will look again tomorrow.
Yes, yesterday.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

If desperate, and in the area of St Albans, https://buongiornoitalia.co.uk/cheese-selection/
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I ordered some off Seeds of Italy/Franchi. You'd think they'd have it in Terronis on Clerkenwell Road. (Or perhaps not, these days.) They probably have it in Eatily but not been able to summon up the energy to go there in my lunch hour for a while.
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

herbidacious wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:53 pm If anyone spots provolone piccante in LIdl please do let me know.
I bought some last Thurs. in Lidl - had to hunt for it - it was all jumbled up with a lot of other cheeses.
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

KeenCook wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:43 pm The Italiamo artichokes in Lidl's Italian week at the moment must be the best value ever! 6 complete hearts in sunflower oil for £1.99! Yum!!
Was just about to recommend them, they are fantastic.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/flavour-of-the ... rts/p62071
Smitch

Post by Smitch »

Nothing to add other than my friend and her family are advertising tents in the most recent Aldi leaflet :lol:
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Was it definitely the piccante you got, KC?I can only see dolce on the web site.

I hope it's not too late... there are so many nice looking things.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I have a friend whose daughters were in the Argos catalogue when they were small :)
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

herbidacious wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:05 pm Was it definitely the piccante you got, KC?I can only see dolce on the web site.

I hope it's not too late... there are so many nice looking things.
Yes, it was. Both sorts are jumbled up together in the usual Lidl way so I had to search through the Dolces to find the Piccantes.

Yes, it's really a good selection. We had to wait our turn at The chiller and shelves as people were filling their trolleys!

One woman even apologised for taking so long as she said she was shopping for a friend :D
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

We just went. No piccante in ours but we bought a basket's worth of stuff :) Sounds like I was being quite restrained compared to people in your shop!