Things you have never thought of

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
Pepper Pig

Re: Things you have never thought of

Post by Pepper Pig »

Stokey Sue wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:30 pm I think basic pj/lounger pants are a good thing to make if you’ve done little or no dressmaking, basic techniques and can be done in one workshop. Also doesn’t matter if the finish isn’t perfect as only the cat will see them.

In Harrow there were a few chavvy parents who would rock up to the schools first thing wearing PJs and a robe. I imagine Hemel is the same. :shock:
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Yes, but I bet they bought them in Primark or Matalan, not lovingly handcrafted!
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Something else that has passed me by. Anyone use one of these? It came up on my Amazon feed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076BP2GGR? ... F32QUdYcHX

The PJ trouser class is showing as full with a waiting list. :o
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

Pepper Pig wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:40 am Something else that has passed me by. Anyone use one of these? It came up on my Amazon feed.

Surely that’s what you have a young child for? Or was it just us that had to sit for hours winding wool??

BB
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Pepper Pig wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:40 am Something else that has passed me by. Anyone use one of these? It came up on my Amazon feed.

My mum had one of those, or very similar and the holder for the skein of wool although my sister and I did much wool holding before these were available. She had a knitting machine and made jumpers and socks for my Dad as well as the occasional hat for us girls ..
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Nope, not seen one. How useful. Encouraging to think that people are still unpicking garments and reusing the wool (or maybe spinning their own).
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I’ve not encountered one of those, though I have seen a wooden doofer for holding a skein of wool taut while you wind it into a ball, so you don’t need to make a small child sit still. There seem to be lots of Heath Robinson-ish wooden devices though none are exactly what I remember
aero280

Post by aero280 »

My grandmother was the main knitter in the family. When we grew out of something, the garment would be unravelled and either my brother or I would wind the wool into a ball. Then a new garment would be knitted.
oat

Post by oat »

I used to demonstrate knitmaster knitting machines, and selling wool winders and skein winders were part of my job.
1974 :o
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Wow oat!
I'm pretty sure my grandmother's contraption, of which I have only the faintest memeory, it was just something we played with. would have dated from between WW1 and WW2
halfateabag

Post by halfateabag »

We use 'sensitive' papers to light the wood burner with. I can only just remember helping mum to wind wool, I would get arm ache..
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Yes, I have a ball winder and find it very useful for yarns I use for weaving or knitting. There are also electric ones!