Things you have never thought of

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
Stokey Sue

Re: Things you have never thought of

Post by Stokey Sue »

It’s been a bit of a big deal for me as I have been working through the documents inherited from two families - I have had bin loads of the stuff

In future it will the odd document, and I think it will go in the general waste, where the other mucky waste will spoil it instantly, and it will go to Edmon for incineration.
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

I know it's in the past now Sue but if you ever had a lot again it may be worth paying to get it shredded. A couple of years ago we had to get rid of a couple of large filing cabinets full of club records (not the bit I deal with) and it only cost £50 to have it uplifted, shredded and disposed of by a commercial recycling company. It was well worth it. Thankfully I've never had quite as much to deal with.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I did wonder about a confidential waste service, we used them at work of course, but I was doing it very slowly, and living in a flat, not easy to store until I had a collection's worth, and I was working through it one folder at a time (still a few left, but only a few)

My friend told me I was wasting my time, obviously I didn't need to look at the contents of all the folders only the relevant ones, I've no idea how she though I'd know which were the relevant folders out of ~150, mostly not labelled and some wrongly labelled, which is arguably worse. Quite apart from things put in the wrong place = at some stage my mum tried filing by colour, and it's not as helpful as you might anticipate. So I had to give at least a cursory glance to each document, very slow work.
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

Sounds like a job and half Sue, I'd be taking my time too with such a task and no you can never assume that contents match the label! I had the opposite problem when my Dad died. He was, shall I say, an enthusiastic disposer of stuff including paperwork that really ought to have been kept!
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

liketocook wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:12 pm Sounds like a job and half Sue, I'd be taking my time too with such a task and no you can never assume that contents match the label! I had the opposite problem when my Dad died. He was, shall I say, an enthusiastic disposer of stuff including paperwork that really ought to have been kept!
Were you still working when there was that great kerfuffle in DWP where a lorry carrying classified material crashed and it was like the end of the world…😱. Everything from then on was so security conscious that they even imposed a clear desk policy with absolutely nothing left on it and that included a tea mug, spoon etc…..😱🤣😂🤣. Talk about one extreme to the other 🤣

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

northleedsbhoy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:07 pm
liketocook wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:12 pm Sounds like a job and half Sue, I'd be taking my time too with such a task and no you can never assume that contents match the label! I had the opposite problem when my Dad died. He was, shall I say, an enthusiastic disposer of stuff including paperwork that really ought to have been kept!
Were you still working when there was that great kerfuffle in DWP where a lorry carrying classified material crashed and it was like the end of the world…😱. Everything from then on was so security conscious that they even imposed a clear desk policy with absolutely nothing left on it and that included a tea mug, spoon etc…..😱🤣😂🤣. Talk about one extreme to the other 🤣

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup
I do remember there was an incident but couldn't have told you when or what it was but yes resulted in very severe response across the board even for non sensitive stuff in back of house areas. That said welcome in customer facing parts as it looked much more professional. People would always find ways round it though, I couldn't count the number of times I had to break into pedestal drawers after someone went on leave or sick and there was something smelly and festering lurking in the drawer. The worst I think smell wise was a half eaten very old tuna and onion sandwich! Mess wise probably goes to the liquid banana that was discovered when it started dripping out a small gap!
ZeroCook

Post by ZeroCook »

Suffs wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:54 am
Next door do similar ... but they don't put it in recycling ... they compress it into blocks in a 'brick former' then dry the blocks on shelves in the greenhouse and burn the blocks on their log burner ... apparently they burn for some time and throw out a fair bit of heat.
Really good idea. What is the "brick former" ?
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

ZeroCook

Post by ZeroCook »

Thx for that, Suffs.
scullion

Post by scullion »

we had one of those, years ago, but it took so long for the briquettes to dry out (even making them thinner) that we gave up. they took up so much room while drying out (which we didn't really have) it became a little ridiculous. cornwall can be quite a damp county.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

NDN have no end of them on sets of shelves inside the south facing side of their greenhouse.
ZeroCook

Post by ZeroCook »

Fortunately, space is not a problem. But forming and drying seem to have many variables.

Been doing a bit of research online and found various takes on paper log making, some more practical and less messy than others. This one does less pulpy processing

https://dengarden.com/home-improvement ... -my-fire

We get quite a lot of online deliveries that come in standard cardboard boxes that may be good candidates for logs - still looking for specifics on that.

Do your neighbours use cardboard at all, Suffs?
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

I’m afraid I don’t know .., I’ll ask next time I get a chance :D
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Another thing I have never considered. I have just been invited to a Hertfordshire Craft Day. Why would I need to know this?

https://www.cognitoforms.com/CLPSouthOx ... o30mV49VTk
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Pepper Pig wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:56 am Another thing I have never considered. I have just been invited to a Hertfordshire Craft Day. Why would I need to know this?

https://www.cognitoforms.com/CLPSouthOx ... o30mV49VTk
:D
I imagine one of the other courses you've been on has passed your name along. I wouldn't particularly want to make pyjama bottoms but sewing is popular again these days.
scullion

Post by scullion »

another name for pyjama bottoms is 'leisure pants' when just used around the house and not in bed.
i'm not sure you'd need a course to make them.
they are pretty much the same as scrubs (free pattern here) bottoms but with elastic rather than a draw-string.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I think basic pj/lounger pants are a good thing to make if you’ve done little or no dressmaking, basic techniques and can be done in one workshop. Also doesn’t matter if the finish isn’t perfect as only the cat will see them.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Presumably , as SSue suggests, it's something basic to make to enter into the show (no collar, zip, difficult seams etc). At school, aged 12-13 years old we made cotton baby rompers for that reason - so unsuitable!
It has never occurred to me to make PJ trousers either but they can look very similar to casual summer trousers if you use a nice cotton fabric.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I'd really like to learn to make some basic things - elasticated skirt, A-Line dress, and thought trousers would be way too difficult, but those too. I am pretty useless though so it would take time and someone to help me take my machine to the lessons if I were to continue doing it. I shall, I hope, at some point do this.

T and I have two mothers' worth of papers to get rid of...
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

I had a go at sewing, but the teacher was more into chatting than showing and the advanced learners were more interesting than the newbies. "Ask your neighbour". I didn't. My neighbour paid for the course, too, so I felt it was wrong to take up her time when we had a teacher. Well, the machine has died in the meantime.
It is difficult finding a good course or someone to show one the ropes, but I'd love to be able to sew, if only to make some pretty summer trousers or rockabilly skirts.