What are you eating today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Suffs

Re: What are you eating today?

Post by Suffs »

Yesterday h/m prawn korma and rice.

Today’s supper will be baked salmon fillets with new potatoes, asparagus and h/m hollandaise.
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

We can now get IKEA meatballs so tonights supper is Swedish meatballs, broccoli, peas, crushed potatoes and pink sauce. It will be crushed pots as they are too small to mash.

Moira
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sheet-pan Chilli-lime salmon with potatoes and peppers, usually with an extra green veg,but not tonight.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/27887 ... s-peppers/
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

A very nice Morrisons The Best pork chop briefly marinaded in a good dash each of garlic oil and vermouth with salt, pepper, mustard powder, sage and thyme then grilled. Served with carrots, and shredded spring cabbage and leek steamed together then seasoned and lightly buttered. Yum.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I had the pork and Stilton sausages bought from a new local farm shop recently. They were absolutely delicious, the Stilton wasn't strong but complemented the pork perfectly. Hot with veg on Friday. Cold in a baguette yesterday. Will be buying them again.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

Because the weather is horrible we are having beef stew with roasted potatoes and parsnips plus buttered cabbage.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

I’m having sardines in tomato sauce on wholemeal toast.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Last night I had a warm salad of puy lentils, sun dried tomatoes, wild garlic and some rather firm, strong but nice) tasting ricotta (made in Yorkshire).
Tonight was a risotto with peas and lots of parmesan and lots of black pepper. Should have put wild garlic in that too... I have a half decent crop in the garden this year. I didn't have a proper lunch today. Fig biscuits at midday then I snacked on smoked halloumi at around 3. I must do better tomorrow...
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

We are both out this evening, separately, and will not be eating properly.

J is going to rugby so he will probably have a pie or something at the ground.
I am going to a friend's house, she's invited a few women round for drinks.
She is a great hostess but she's not fussed on cooking so it will likely be a beige buffet on offer.

So we had smoked salmon and pasta for lunch.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Salmon fillet, asparagus, samphire, new potatoes.

Earlier: white chocolate cookie, ham salad

Strawberries, figs, 0% Greek yogurt.

I don’t understand why people think Slimming World is carb heavy. Long gone are the Red and Green Days.
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

It is Easter here, Slow Cooked Lamb is being prepared by Deb, to be served with Dauphinoise Pots, Green Beans, Peas(frozen) and Cauliflower in White Sauce, it is a tiny fist sized cauliflower. No pud as we will not have room. However I made an Apricot and Almond Loaf for tomorrow

Moira
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Pepper Pig wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:41 pm
I don’t understand why people think Slimming World is carb heavy. Long gone are the Red and Green Days.
Is it because the keto and generic low-carb brigade have convinced many of us that carbs are “naughty calories” that we should avoid, so balanced meals with carbs to carry the fibre and fill you up seem very carb-heavy?

Yesterday I fished a portion of the Sri Lankan pork curry out of the freezer, possibly even nicer now it has mellowed

Tonight I have some Italian-style sausages so will cook them with Puy lentils, fennel etc.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

I think it’s because slimming world says pasta , rice etc are all “free” in their terminology so you can have unlimited portions , but I think bread has to be measured ???

It’s been years since I’ve done that diet so it could have changed
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Moira, that sounds absolutely delicious.

Slimming World never had to be carb heavy but a lot of people worked out how to get the most (because carbs are comforting ) without using Syns. Not the way it was supposed to work.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

I think the difference these days is that at least a third of your plate needs to be super free food, or whatever they call it. I don’t remember that from last time I went. They’ve also changed quite a lot of stuff that was previously free, like yogurts and stuff.

My main problem is the massive sugar cravings I’m getting. Don’t remember that from last time either. May be related to my giving up alcohol or possibly Type 2 diabetes. It’s very real.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

When my mum gave up drinking after she went to rehab , she had really strong sugar cravings and AA said it was a very common response .

Not suggesting you’re an alcoholic PP, it’s just a thing that happens when you give up drinking
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

There is a lot of sugar in alcoholic drinks...
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

herbidacious wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:19 pm There is a lot of sugar in alcoholic drinks...
That's something of an urban myth
There's no sugar at all in spirits (though obviously some in many mixers), not much in most wines - perhaps a gram in a glass of a typical table wine, there are carbs in beer but very little free sugar.

https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/sugar-in-wine-chart/

As they used to say on the Diat Pils ads, the sugar turns to alcohol :D
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

My tipples of choice were vodka and gin. Red wine if I was out with friends and not driving.

More likely than to be my diabetes meds? Dapagliflozin. Or just one of those things.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Stokey Sue wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:19 pm
herbidacious wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:19 pm There is a lot of sugar in alcoholic drinks...
That's something of an urban myth
There's no sugar at all in spirits (though obviously some in many mixers), not much in most wines - perhaps a gram in a glass of a typical table wine, there are carbs in beer but very little free sugar.

https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/sugar-in-wine-chart/

As they used to say on the Diat Pils ads, the sugar turns to alcohol :D
I wonder why people crave it after giving up booze, then.

Some articles say it's pyschological but most people don't think there is much sugar in, say, a glass of dry wine anyway.

Maybe there doesn't need to be a lot for it to have a physiological affect.

And what makes alcohol relatively calorific, if not sugar?

I am not questioning your refutation of my claim. Just wondering what the science is behind it.