What are you eating today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
amyw

What are you eating today?

Post by amyw »

Roast belly pork with balsamic and garlic roasted new potatoes plus roast courgettes peppers and leek today .
Gruney

Re: What you are eating today?

Post by Gruney »

Today, I'll be making a layered hotpot of belly pork slices, apples and onions, from Jocasta Innes' "The Pauper's Cookbok". Iive wanted to make this for some time, but noticed, yesterday, that Morrisons had the pork slices "loose", you need quite a few - so here we go. New board - new dinner.
Last edited by Gruney on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
patpoyntz

Post by patpoyntz »

I’ve unearthed a small piece of loin of pork from the freezer and I’m going to try roasting it in the the air fryer. Too warm and humid today for a trad roast, so will serve it with baby new potatoes and a green salad.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

That sounds tasty Gruney ... I've got some pork belly slices in the freezer ... googling doesn't give me the recipe ... if and when you get the time a brief outline would be great ... I'm not one for exact quantities etc ... I'm wondering if it's something that would work in the slow cooker?

Here it'll be a 'pull it and slam it' supper today ... pull it out of the freezer and slam it in the oven ... don't often do that but it is Wimbledon!!! So we'll have oven cooked battered calamari rings, oven chips, baked tomatoes and frozen peas ...starting at a pretty basic level so anything the rest of you post from hereon will be vastly superior ;)
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

Suffs wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:07 am That sounds tasty Gruney ... I've got some pork belly slices in the freezer ... googling doesn't give me the recipe ... if and when you get the time a brief outline would be great ... I'm not one for exact quantities etc ... I'm wondering if it's something that would work in the slow cooker?

Here it'll be a 'pull it and slam it' supper today ... pull it out of the freezer and slam it in the oven ... don't often do that but it is Wimbledon!!! So we'll have oven cooked battered calamari rings, oven chips, baked tomatoes and frozen peas ...starting at a pretty basic level so anything the rest of you post from hereon will be vastly superior ;)
Great minds Suffs……….I’ve also had no luck looking for the recipe, it sounds luscious.

BB
Gruney

Post by Gruney »

I'm always concerned about copyright issues, for the board, and have sent Suffs a private email. I wonder if she knows more than I do about the subject, and thinks it would be ok to reproduce it here - she wouldn't mind doing so?
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Good point Gruney ... if we can't do a live link to the source that might be a problem? Can the Mods advise please?
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Courgette quiche tonight, and I just liberally poured wine vinegar instead of olive oil over the courgettes before roasting them :|
Hmm, will have to see how it turns out. I won't mention anything to OH or DS and see if they think it tastes weird!
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

Gruney wrote: I'm always concerned about copyright issues
Rewrite it in your own words. I did try and find the official food writers' guild rules which used to be linked to a forum page to add to these rules a few days ago, but couldn't find it.

viewtopic.php?p=157#p157
Gruney

Post by Gruney »

Thanks Sakkarin.
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

Have a new Gujerati cookbook, made a rice and 3 lentils dish from it. Simple store cupboard ingredients and only cumin seeds, chilli and fried onions gets added. It was delicious. It was like an Indian kichri/kichdi, but you cook the rice separately and mix together at the end. The leftovers were lovely with a bit of aloo saag topping it.
RockyBVI

Post by RockyBVI »

OH was out last night so I had cauliflower cheese.

Coronation chicken salad for lunch today and this evening we are staying with friends in Bucks. - who always do very hearty grub!
scullion

Post by scullion »

last night was thaiesque green curry veg with chilli-peanut quorn and noodles - the easy option for five of us.
tonight may be even simper - chips at the beach (i think).
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

We've had a change of plan so tonight's supper will be a frittata ... we have a mixture of cooked new and Charlotte potatoes, a courgette, some Romano peppers and plenty of onions and herbs.
I've also cut a lettuce and we have plenty of good tomatoes (bought) and cucumber (homegrown) so lots of salad available too.
halfateabag

Post by halfateabag »

Late brekkie of bread, butter and fresh strawberries from the garden. Marinated octopus and coleslaw for lunch. Supper will be the rest of my salt cod & chips from Pinhao with padron peppers for starters.
DawnS

Post by DawnS »

Quesedillas with cheese, chilis and homegrown spring onions with homemade potato wedges and sour cream & chive dip.
I will make a banoffee pie for this weekend's dessert when I get home from work this afternoon.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

scullion wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:04 am last night was thaiesque green curry veg with chilli-peanut quorn and noodles
I suspect I'm being dim but was that a recipe incorporating chilli, peanut and quorn or can you get chilli-peanut quorn? The thought of the latter seems nice.
scullion

Post by scullion »

no, its quorn pieces or fillets cut in strips, with some chunky peanut butter and sambal olek (usually - i've run out so it was harissa paste - the sambal olek is better) loosen it up with some water and let it cook on a medium to low heat. keep an eye on it as it soaks up the water well. cook it til it seems to coat the quorn and is dry to unctuous.
ps. if you can find a block of sambal pecel you can use that but that's just ground peanuts and chillis anyway!
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Thank you!
scullion

Post by scullion »

is it me or is it quite a cornish way of asking 'what are you eating today?'