Where have you eaten out today?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
WWordsworth

Re: Where have you eaten out today?

Post by WWordsworth »

And it's me again.
What an utterly fabulous day for food. Dinner was here tonight
https://www.gemmayzestreet.co.nz/

We went for the mezze
Venison tartare
Market fish
Cucumber and labneh
Potatoes

I didn't want it to end.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

We went to a tapas restaurant near Beckenham for lunch.

We shared 5 things and had a dessert. I have not eaten this much in one go for a few weeks.

Bog standard things really, but hit the spot.

https://www.elmolino.co.uk/
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

We had fish and chips on the beach at Tawahai.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We went to the Highwayman near PP. Food was very good, service was very good, as in pleasant, but very slow, allergies were very good (apart from getting them wrong😮😳), but the noise was so, so very loud as we left (8-8:30). And then, after very slow service, had the cheek to say they needed the table asap?? If we hadn’t had little ones with us, I may have had a very slow dessert, followed by a very slow digestif, followed by a very slow coffee. I hate feeling rushed! (Esp after very slow service!). We will go again, but will time our next meal carefully. We tried, but couldn’t get in here https://www.the-artisan.co.uk/
Have you been PP?
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

No I haven’t. I believe it’s only just opened.

The Highwayman is usually good on service but we’ve only ever done lunch there.
RockyBVI

Post by RockyBVI »

We ate here https://thegrovetavern.uk/ on Wednesday before going to an event at the Apollo. Very good. I had shredded lamb pie which was fabulous.

We are going here https://www.samswaterside.co.uk/ for lunch today as our Christmas present to each other. We went for my birthday and I had the most fabulous ceviche so I may go for that again.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

We had lunch in Cote Brasserie, Sevenoaks.
Gougeres to start (shared). A bit over cooked but quite nice.
My main was a mushroom bourguignon with some slightly weird mushroom based faux meat protein. Not keen on the texture but it all tasted nice enough. It came with potato that tasted like it had been cooked and reheated, so less pleasant.
Then fondant au chocolat which was nice, but the salted caramel sauce (which is what persuaded me to go for the most calorific dessert on the menu, even though I am on a diet - I am allowed one dessert a week.) was really just a decoration. A quarter of a teaspooon of it zigzagged accross the plat!
T had twice baked souffle (a starter instead of a main) with creamed spinach. His souffle looked really nice. His dessert - a financier - was nothing special, he said.
So slightly negative 'review', I suppose, but better than a veggie burger ;) And nice to go somewhere different.
Cheezy_Jazzy

Post by Cheezy_Jazzy »

We went here a few weeks ago for my birthday.

https://sojubysumo.co.uk/

We had the Korean fried chicken, belly pork in bag buns, mini crabmeat bites and tempura cod from the small plates menu. It was divine. We will go back again at some point.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Nice to see you around, CJ. That looks a lovely place.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

BF and I are going to our art teacher’s exhibition in Aylesbury on Friday. She has booked lunch here: https://www.thegrangesaunderton.org.uk/

Anyone been?
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

A first for me.....

Have just got home from being treated to (Dim Sum) lunch at Wing Yip...somewhere on the North Circular..

A delicious meal only enhanced by being in the company of a friend who, being half Chinese, spoke the lingo.

Such a variety of small plates I can barely remember most of them but included chicken feet in black bean sauce, crispy fried tarot(yam) croquettes, dumplings of all varieties and ending with small egg tarts, all drunk with copious amounts of jasmine tea.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Oooh. I haven’t been to Wing Yip for aged. Love it. Think it is now in the Congestion Zone which is why we stopped going.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

PatsyMFagan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:20 pm A first for me.....

Have just got home from being treated to (Dim Sum) lunch at Wing Yip...somewhere on the North Circular..

A delicious meal only enhanced by being in the company of a friend who, being half Chinese, spoke the lingo.

Such a variety of small plates I can barely remember most of them but included chicken feet in black bean sauce, crispy fried tarot(yam) croquettes, dumplings of all varieties and ending with small egg tarts, all drunk with copious amounts of jasmine tea.
That sounds amazing . I live in darkest deepest Devon and craving a Chinatown visit . Might have to go a day trip to London soon
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

Pepper Pig wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:36 pm Think it is now in the Congestion Zone
Yup, it most certainly is which is why I haven't been up for ages either - a right pain!
They've stopped doing on-line ordering too :thumbsdown

Lovely dim sum Patsy - the Vietnamese resto above is very good too & a treat after a shop - well it used to be - if it's still open that is.......... :crossed
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Is the Congestion zone not active on Sundays ? My friends never made mention of it and it never occurred to me
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Sundays used to be free before Covid but not now Pat. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/conges ... Auto%20Pay.

I think the North Circular is the dividing line. Aero would know.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

We went here last night
https://www.postofficecafeclyde.co.nz/

I have been before and it's still really good.
The food and service are excellent and the portions are huge, a bit too big really.

J and I had the market fish, which was orange roughy. I have had it before and it's really nice.
3 people went for the salmon - it's sea salmon and the season has just begun. The fishermen in the party declared it excellent.
The final person chose fish and chips, which was blue cod.

When I first visited Clyde in the early 80s it was the post office.
I went in to send a postcard to my mum and the woman behind the counter immediately said "You must be Christine's cousin"
It was a bit of a one horse town in those days and my accent gave me away. :lol:
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

WW this made me remember a similar story from the 80/90’s. My friend R is a kiwi but has lived here for since he was 7, he got word that his Dad in NZ had had a heart attack. He rang speak to his oldest sister K. At the time rural communities in NZ still had a phone system where you went through the operator, when asking to be put through to such and such number the operator said, it’s no good trying that number - it’s Friday morning K will be at so and so’s house having coffee.

She was right R spoke to his sister at her friends house and all was well.

BB

P.S. my friends are in South Island too at the moment, going up the west before they have a month in the north. It’s their big retirement trip.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

South Island too at the moment, going up the west
I wish them joy of the bl%%dy sandflies on the west coast.
I am never going there again!
Sakkarin

Post by Sakkarin »

aero280 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:12 pm Just back from lunch at St James....they will be open for a further three months... A pity, but all good things come to an end. :(
Sorry to hear about St James, Aero :-(

I see the China House a few doors down from it has shut up shop too after 50 years or so - I have a menu of theirs going back to when Chicken Chow Mein was 95p! It's reopened as a cheffy looking place, but doubt it's a replacement for St James, although the owner sounds very confident. Italian, trust that doesn't just mean pizza and pasta :-(
https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/leisu ... gh-street/