Christmas DIY Projects

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
Uschi

Re: Christmas DIY Projects

Post by Uschi »

As a child I always wanted to make star ornaments from beads, but the beads (arcyllic) were too expensive back then. I made some later, but none are left. Someting to do with the kids next year.

https://tengemsdiy.com/how-to-make-diy- ... ornaments/

This is in German, but the illustrations are very clear. The stars she made are fairly small, but you can simply use bigger beads and end up with something that is easy to handle and big enough to hang on the tree. They use pearly and golden beads in the tutorials, but any "crystal" acrillic beads (translucent, faceted) will work well alongside pearls or metallics.

https://lisibloggt.com/2016/11/16/anlei ... t-basteln/

Acryllic beads these days are dirt cheap in poundshops and the like and so is the wire one needs.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

I am making and Advent calendar by copying out seasonal poems on pretty paper with variously coloured ineenk.

I plan to roll them up and tie small ribbons around them and hang them from a string.
As additional decorations I am making foil stars. I cut them at the kitchen table and then roll the spikes in the evening while watching TV. Sticking them together with glue is a bit tricky. Solvent free glue won't work and even the heavy stuff needs some pressure and several hours to set.

This was my table until a few minutes ago ... stars in various stages of comlpetion. The green plant clips are a boon, they keep the elements together with the right amount of pressure. As yet the stars don't look right, since they are still a bit wonky from being stuck together, but if I sorted them out now, they might become unstuck. I will do that tomorrow.

oat

Post by oat »

They look beautiful Uschi.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Thanks ... they are fun and I am really enjoying myself.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

I have finished my lyrical Advent calendar, but left the camera with the pictures at the party ... doh. I had written out 25 poems and rolled them into little scrolls and hung those from a red string with lots of little stickers and some foil stars in between. It turned out quite prettily.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Here are some pretty ideas I picked up from Pinterest. I like this "Christmas frame" for those with little space.

And these candle holders ... if you don't like the idea of using biscuits, you could use salt dough ones or just nuts as can be seen.

And here is an idea for a quick Christmas wreath ...

Oh, and for anyone feeling this is all a bit twee ...

Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

You make and find such pretty things, Uschi.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

I simply enjoy these things. I grew up to the clicking of needles, or paper or whatever being cut by my mother and my father also did a fine line in building things for children. :D
That was how I picked up the virus. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

I love the button Christmas tree ornaments that are so popular this year.

Eg https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/7478044 ... gJ7N_D_BwE
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Aren't they a bit heavy? But they certainly look like fun and should be easy to make.