Paris hotel ...

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
KeenCook

Paris hotel ...

Post by KeenCook »

Hello, having just received an email from Eurostar advertising their £39 each way fares to Paris, we're seriously thinking of popping over there for a few days next month ... do you have any hotel recommendations? EM I have a funny feeling you mentioned one several years ago :?:
Stokey Sue

Re: Paris hotel ...

Post by Stokey Sue »

Slimpersoninside asked this quite recently here's the thread

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=27214#p27214
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Yes, I did mention one quite a few years ago!

Quite quirky but clean and friendly with everything one needed (and thank goodness they'd installed a lift when my friend went back with her husband a couple of years later!). It still looks ok and relatively inexpensive. https://hoteldulys.com/

I think the places mentioned on Slimpersoninside's thread have been enjoyed more recently. I didn't post there as it had been a few years since I had been.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Thank you, all!

Eurostar booked, 5-7 Feb, and about to confirm reservation for 2 nights at EM's hotel :thumbsup
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

We didn't book for Paris in the end, we're off to Stuttgart instead. However, I'm very interested in the hotel EM suggested so waiting with bated breath to find out from KC if it has stood the test of time. A trip to Paris is always in our minds, maybe we'll get around to it this year......I hope so!
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Exciting!

You had me looking at hotels last night... Paris has become so expensive... (I usually go on my own so it feels more than it might otherwise, I suppose.)
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Yes, expensive. And that’s before the Olympics have even started.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Oh Lordy. I hope it's alright!

My friend had lived in Paris and could find and catch buses with ease so we got one from the station almost to the road in which we were staying. It made it really easy and cheaper than Metro or taxi. Worth investigating if you have the skills/language.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Pepper Pig wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:32 pm Yes, expensive. And that’s before the Olympics have even started.
The hotel I stayed at last time - the room rates go up from 200ish euros to just over 1000 euros this July.

I am thinking of going end of April.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I ended up booking a hotel very close to EM's. (EM's was not available for the dates I wanted.) It looks ok. It's on the Rue des Écoles. I know the area a little.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Herbi, when are you going? A shame we won't overlap. Is T going as well?
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

We are going in May. Turns out May is quite expensive! Yes, I have managed to persuade T to come. He was a bit reluctant...!
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

Paris in May has always been expensive - (romantic) springtime in Paris 'n all that! :D It is a lovely time to go tho' - fresh, & the blossom is out.
The bed-bug saga would be a big turn-off for me right now.....bleugh! - it has not been sorted however much they say it has.
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I am somewhat inclined to think it was media generated hysteria in the first place.

Spring and to some extent summer are better if outdoor photography is an essential element as it is for me. It's not so muich rain that's a problem as monotone grey skies. Poor light for photography. Brilliant blue skies with no cloud are not that great either but better than a uniform mask of grey cloud.

I still think the prices have gone up considerably - from looking at prices at the hotel I sayed in the summer before last, when I was last there. But I realize that the hotel I stayed in that would now cost 650 euros a night to stay in in May this year would now be about 350 in November. I probably paid 220 back in 2016 so not as big a hike as I feared.
Last edited by herbidacious on Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

herbidacious wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:10 pm I am somewhat inclinced to think it was media generated hysteria in the first place.
A bit like Covid you mean.......?
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

That's a bit mean!
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

Not at all like Covid. I am not saying there isn't a problem but it's not clear how widespread or severe it is because there isn't much evidence on offer.
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

herbidacious wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:18 pm That's a bit mean!
Not at all - if you remember Covid was regarded as " media generated hysteria" in the beginning - so no meanness intended.

The bedbug infestation isn't limited to Paris of course because it spreads countrywide by pick-up from travelers - it is an huge issue in Paris & there is plenty of evidence that is being quelled by the travel industry with obvious government support with the olympics on the horizon.

Just saying that's all - not trying to dampen your enthusiasm!
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I meant mean, because it looked (to me) a bit like you were implying I am a conspiracy-theorist bedbug denier ;)

I am not sure that there is a level of readily available evidence proving that there is a bed bug crisis, several months on, as there was with regard to Covid...

Anyway, when it comes nearer the time, I would prefer to go into ostrich mode before the trip... and maybe wash all my clothes as soon as I get home! But alas I can't control my husband who will certainly poo poo the whole thing :o
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

They say it is a good idea to keep your cases in the bath or at least above floor level. The news had just come out when I stayed at a Travelodge before Christmas so I tried it and it's sooo hard to keep everything above floor level. Shoes, bags, bedding ..... I think a good spray used on the mattress and around the edges of the room might be easier if you were really concerned about it.