How do you make your guacamole ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Ameew

How do you make your guacamole ?

Post by Ameew »

Am doing fajita Friday at work tonight and wondered out of interest , how everyone makes their guacamole ? I tend to vary mine each time , although always prefer a chunky texture . Always like a squeeze of lime in to lift it and will often feature chillies , coriander , tomatoes and red onion , although not all at once .

Also any nice salsa recipes would be appreciated too please
Stokey Sue

Re: How do you make your guacamole ?

Post by Stokey Sue »

I prefer a fairly chunky one.
I don’t use chillies, as I am using it as the cooling element with spicy food.

So it’s avocado mashed with salt and lime juice, to which I add a little very finely diced red onion (or shallot) and little dice of tomato flesh - seeds discard before chopping. I’ll add coriander if I have any and I’m not feeding anyone who hates it, but not much. The secret is to leave it to rest for a short time, perhaps 30 minutes

I have been known to make it in a processor, but I much prefer the texture of chopped tomatoes.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

I sometimes make it without tomatoes. Always with a sprinkle of flaky salt at the end, to give little pops of saltiness.

Sometimes I make a tomato salsa, split it into a half and two quarters, then mash the smaller amounts with avocado and refried beans respectively, to make three dips. Can also be done with an initial batch of tomatillo salsa; like the standard one with coriander, onion, chilli, lime & salt but using any colour of tomatillo in place of the tomato.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Ah, I forgot the salsa method, it does work well
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Thanks everyone
Seatallan

Post by Seatallan »

I agree that guacamole is nicest when a bit on the chunky side. lick lips

For salsa I finely chop a mixture of red onion, red chilli and baby tomatoes, add plenty of salt, lime juice and finish with finely chopped corriander.
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

I make a salsa with mango chunks, chopped spring onion, chopped red chilli, lime zest and juice, black pepper and chopped coriander.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Don’t know if I’ve ever made a mango salsa . Must try as that sounds lovely
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

The same idea works with ripe melon and with other sweet fruit, too.
ZeroCook

Post by ZeroCook »

Mango and habanero salsa is very tasty.

For fajitas, I often make guacamole Arizona style, without tomatoes - a couple or three avocados, flesh cubed, blitzed until almost smooth with a little chopped onion, a little jalapeno or green chile to taste, salt, lime juice, and sometimes a handful of cilantro.

For a more Mex guacamole, Diana Kennedy's is always good, tweaked to taste
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8w9r4ywx ... oqydt&dl=0

Yucatán-Style Pickled Red Onions are a fave - more like a salsa esp if you slightly zap the onions - finely chopped or sliced red onion, sprinkled with some sea salt, allow to sit 10 mins, stir in fresh tangy citrus juice (mix of grapefruit, lime, orange) , some finely minced habanero red chili, a pinch of raw sugar and and some ground black pepper. I sometimes add a little pineapple or white vinegar for extra sharpness.