Easter cooking

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Pepper Pig

Easter cooking

Post by Pepper Pig »

Mostly Tom Kerridge but I thought Easter should probably be a topic on its own.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... er-pudding
aero280

Re: Easter cooking

Post by aero280 »

I will probably be doing my usual Simnel Cake.

I read the Tom Kerridge article, but I try to avoid reading most of these things because I would want to experiment with most of the them, and we will get fat... :o
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I skimmed it but I did think I'd have terrible indigestion if I put a quarter of the Romesco sauce on each plate as in the illustration.

I like Romesco, a half quantity made with one of those Lidl jars of piquillo peppers might be a thing
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

I’m working all over Easter , a 96 hour shift , so might distract myself by making something fun. With the clients . Thinking either Easter brownies or a mini egg cheesecake
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

I'll be travelling on Easter Sunday, but don't usually do much anyay. It was a big deal when I was growing up. (A church-going household.)
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

I was thinking of a home-made breadrolls with fried quails' eggs for breakfast and chocolate-advokaat gateau for coffee. Apart from that I have some salmon in the freezer. If there is white asparagus at a reasonable price that might feature for lunch.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Pepper Pig wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:12 am Easter Cherry Bakewell Cake.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/m ... ina-ebuehi
Aargh! Another stolen recipe name a Bakewell pudding or tart is a pastry shell filled with a kind of frangipane filling.

Probably a nice cake, but not a Bakewell.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

To be fair, bakewell has been written with a lower case B and it is called a cake, not a tart or pudding. I think it immediately indicates to the reader that it will have an almond flavour with cherries as 'bakewell' has come to mean in the English language (perhaps thanks to Mr Kipling and others).

I agree that naming it cherry and almond would be correct and adequate. The masses seemed to go off almond flavoured cake for a long time - 'bakewell' perhaps makes it more palatable.

I don't cook anything special for Easter any more but always made a decorated lemon sponge for tea with yellow buttercream filling and icing. Lunch was roast leg of lamb - crispy on the outside.
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

I'd love to make a cake with bakewell flavours, alas hubby is nut intolerant :( .
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

The farm shop sells a locally made cherry and almond loaf cake … it’s DS’s favourite. I’ve been known to sneak myself a few crumbs 😆
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I used to make cherry and almond loaf cakes a lot. It had a drizzle of water icing. I think it was a Stork recipe originally but just a basic sponge with almond extract and cherries. Not overly keen on the addition of ground almonds (except in a plum crumble to which I also add almond extract which is different to cake and nothing to do with Easter but very good).
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I once made a Red Nose cake using a cherry almond cake, suitably decorated
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

Hmm EM, I'm wondering if almond extract would work for us. Hubby's intolerance isn't too bad, he gets a bit spotty - as in spotty teenager.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Amber

Post by Amber »

I’ve bought a leg of lamb for probably the second or third time in my life🙄😳. What is the easiest way to deal with it please? I like mine pink, but am aware not everyone else does. It will be served cool/cold as part of a big mixed lunch, with chicken, and fish, and a veggie option. The only restrictions are not spicy (garlic/rosemary is OK), and no fish/anchovies. I think (hope) other allergies are probably not relevant here🤞. Fast cook? Slow cook? (I have mint sauce on my shopping list due to other allergies)

Do you remember when meals were simple? No dislikes/intolerances/allergies/veggies etc etc!?!?😮😳😄
I’m coping with at least seven allergies this weekend.
scullion

Post by scullion »

Amber wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:12 pm Do you remember when meals were simple? No dislikes [...]/veggies etc etc!?!?
those meals have always been simple for me - over half a century of being vegetarian has not been difficult at all.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

I find that cooking for groups of people is more challenging than it used to be, yes. Interestingly, people whose requirements were unconventional thirty years ago are still unconventional, but in a different way, as the conventions have changed.