Sourdough hot cross buns anyone?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Suffs

Sourdough hot cross buns anyone?

Post by Suffs »

Has anyone ever made them? I’ve been asked on the GC gardening forum if I have a recipe for using the discarded levain for hot cross buns.

I must admit that given the long proving time needed for enriched sourdough I’ve never tried … has anyone given it a go?
Norfolkman

Re: Sourdough hot cross buns anyone?

Post by Norfolkman »

There's a recipe here: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sou ... cross-buns

No idea if good or bad.

My bread man Neil makes them but I've never been able to time a visit to him to try them but a pic of them on his Facebook site makes me wish I had.
scullion

Post by scullion »

not made them but i will be starting soon.
the croissants that i made were sourdough rather than normal yeast and were really good. you could;d call it an enriched dough as there was milk and water in it and a huge amount of butter (a bit in the dough and masses in the laminations).
you just have to start earlier than you think by making the levain the night before so it's really active when you start, then shape the buns and leave in a cool place overnight to prove enough before baking (at the moment i'm using an unheated north facing room rather than the fridge).
https://homegrownhappiness.com/sourdough-hotcross-buns/ - this may be the recipe i try - which means, to bake on friday i'll be making the levain tomorrow evening, the dough and shaping on thursday and long prove over thursday night.

ps.
as for discard recipes, there's a recipe in 'the sourdough school' cookbook that uses a collection of discard - about 750 g from what i remember - to make a rye bread (with very little if any added flour). i've made it once - still have some slices in the freezer - but i don't accrue that much discard now as it takes up too much fridge room. i can photo the recipe if that's any good.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Oh yes please Scully. 😊
I’ve not been making sourdough this year (my nurturing skills have been needed elsewhere) but I may well start again …

Thanks to you too Norfolkman 🙏
scullion

Post by scullion »

sorry, i was wrong, it does use more flour but here's the photo anyway - hope you can see it ok (click on it to get the larger, sizeable version) - otherwise i'll email you a better/bigger one.
i have found that my starter is so much better using rye flour rather than ordinary bread flour.
IMG_4867.JPG
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Could you email it to me please Scully … it blurs when I zoom it. 🙏

I probably won’t make them this year … but I can send it to Tui and put it in my ‘Must Make’ file. :D
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

A friend of mine makes them and swears by his recipe, I haven’t managed to get hold of him this week to ask for it, but I know he’s a fan of James Morton and has got the Sourdough book, so maybe JM has put something online. Not sure that it’s a discard recipe though. I have made crumpets from discard in the past, with varying degrees of success.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Ah, looks like it might be a mixture of starter added to a yeasted dough.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/hot-cross-buns/
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Tui34 posted photos of her HCBs here on GC

https://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/threa ... st-1465167

You’ll need to scroll up a bit to see her pics. Click on them to zoom.

She used the ‘Home Grown Happiness recipe linked to by Scully. She was really pleased with the results … they certainly look very good.

Thanks Scully 🙏
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

They do look good.....think I'll get me an invite to her place next Good Friday ;) lick lips.
scullion

Post by scullion »

it's a good recipe though i upped the spice mix a bit (and cheated - just used mixed spice). a good 'teacake' recipe.

is that where the gardeners world evacuees have landed, suffs?
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

It is Scully.
Visually it’s very different but most folk seem to be getting the hang of it … and they have been incredibly kind and welcoming … the volunteer admin have been working almost 24/7 to help and special threads were set up to help us find our way about. I think some of the regulars felt a little swamped by around 200 new members landing within a couple of days but most have been nothing but welcoming and no one has said anything nasty.
Very very kind of them.
scullion

Post by scullion »

back to discard recipes - i have just made these.
they were really good.
definitely will make them again as they use up a good amount of discard.
there are other discard recipes on the website that look good, too.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Suffs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:23 pm Could you email it to me please Scully … it blurs when I zoom it. 🙏
If I try to zoom in, it blurs for me too, but if I click on photo, and then zoom in, all is ok.

Not sourdough hot cross buns, but I make a tasty sweet spiced fruit soda bread, so easy!
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Amber wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:22 pm Not sourdough hot cross buns, but I make a tasty sweet spiced fruit soda bread, so easy!
Sounds good. Do you have a recipe you could share, please?
Amber

Post by Amber »

It’s a very long winded web page for such a simple recipe. We prefer M&S mixed fruit with cranberries, it just taste better, and I usually add a few cherries for sweetness. It slices and freezes well too. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/easy-fruit-soda-bread
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks for that, Amber. It is one of those lengthy articles but at least it has a printable 'recipe card' at the bottom, which I like.
I'll give it a go when it's a bit cooler and I can put the oven on!!