"Danish Peasant Girl with a Veil"

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Stokey Sue

Re: "Danish Peasant Girl with a Veil"

Post by Stokey Sue »

You could buy the fruit flavoured junket tablets here too, the brand was Miss Muffet. I loathe junket

We had the whipped jelly made with evap at school, we called it fluff and loved it, I remember someone’s mother setting a jelly in a glass bowl then putting the same flavour of fluff on top, it seemed quite glam, I think she might have decorated the top for a birthday
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

Who remembers Rice Cremola?

It was a quick pudding if mum was busy, always served with a blob of jam in the middle.
If it was too hot we were allowed to pour some milk on it.
Binky

Post by Binky »

I don't remember Cremola pudding but do remember a fizzy drink with a similar name. It made me Google for more info and this is an interesting and amusing article....there are some nice illustrations of old advertisements too.

https://threadinburgh.scot/2022/08/29/t ... ts-closet/
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Interesting thread Binky, though I skipped through some of the custard

I think they are wrong in one respect
Creamola was bought by Rowntrees in 1966. Attempts to popularise it in England were tried and failed, but it retained a soft spot in Scottish hearts, minds and stomachs and production of this industrial refreshment continued.
We had Creamola foam on the South Coast of England, and I think before 1966 when I would have been in High School, though we more often had Eiffel Tower Lemonade Crystals - both were consumed like sherbet more often than made into a drink. Maybe that's why Creamola Foam didn't catch on down here, not as nice eaten as a finger dab
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

I remember Rice Cremola. It was like yellow semolina.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I loved Cremola Foam. Also Rice Cremola (it was made from ground rice). I'm racking brains as I'm sure there was another Cremola product at around the same time - perhaps something blancmange-like but can't think what it might have been.
scullion

Post by scullion »

i think i must have had a deprived childhood -
we never had anything called cremola, never heard of the eiffel tower stuff (other than the real one), didn't have visits from the corona drinks van and never had bread in milk (or tea) and never had junket.
the only time i had a sugar sandwich, which seems another one of those things people had, was at a (primary school) friends house - have to say, i was unimpressed though she loved them (her family had a corona delivery, too).
we did have the whisked 'vap' jelly.
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

scullion wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:25 pm i think i must have had a deprived childhood -
we never had anything called cremola, never heard of the eiffel tower stuff (other than the real one), didn't have visits from the corona drinks van and never had bread in milk (or tea) and never had junket.
the only time i had a sugar sandwich, which seems another one of those things people had, was at a (primary school) friends house - have to say, i was unimpressed though she loved them (her family had a corona delivery, too).
we did have the whisked 'vap' jelly.
Ditto, we did not have those items either, although my grandmother did make me condensed milk sandwiches.

Moira
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I never had sugar or condensed milk sandwiches or bread and milk. We moved to a village shop at the start of 60s and lived through the introduction of many convenience foods and factory made cakes which friends' mothers wouldn't have bought but which we sampled. We would never have had a Corona lorry call to a private house but did sell Corona and if it was a very hot day, we'd ocassionally open a bottle for a treat. Cherryade or Cydapple please!

I've just remembered Mapletons - Fru grains, a sort if sausage mix and bars or a sort if fruit paste. I think they were all considered vegetarian food but we had them ocassionally for a treat.
scullion

Post by scullion »

i really, really miss frugrains - i have trawled the web for the ingredients to make some. they disappeared from the holland and barret shop in the mid to late nineties. the kids and i used eat them like sweets.
i've only recently found that 'grapevine' sell the whole dried bananas - though i have made those.
my paternal grandmother asked my dad to take some of those in for her when she was in hospital (on her way out), to put in the bed-pan, when she was being nagged about passing a stool...
aero280

Post by aero280 »

Milk jelly - yes.
Junket - yes.
Sugar sandwiches - yes, but only made by us as something to keep us out of the way.

Condensed milk on tinned fruit was something to be endured at friend’s houses. We always had clotted cream, but probably because one of dad’s customers produced it.

Do Grape Nuts still exist?
Binky

Post by Binky »

Look what I found in an old book by one of the Opies. A pic of a Creamola pudding packet.

Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I remember the Walls tubs, and MacFarlane Lang Biscuits - my great uncle worked for them at Park Royal
Greens made a lot of things, I suspect they were seen everywhere local to me as they were Brighton based
aero280

Post by aero280 »

My schoolfriend had lots of Greens products around at home. His father was the SW England sales manager. :)
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

What surprises me is the variety of custard powders, all I can recall seeing now is either Birds or supermarket own brands.

A plethora of choice it seems.

BB
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

One of the most famous of all London ghost signs is for Peterkin custard, on the A3 near Lavender Hill, it was very noticeable until recently, I've often sat in traffic and mused on custard and little Dutch boys, a popular stereotype in British advertising in the early 20th century
https://ghostsigns.co.uk/2021/01/the-en ... host-sign/

My mother remembered Foster Clark's which was the great rival to Bird's in her childhood (ca 1930), it still seems to be going strong in Bangladesh and the Philippines
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Pearce Duffs seemed the biggest rival to Birds in my childhood. We always used their custard powder and blancmange ....ooh and jelly creams .. maple & walnut ... mmmm!

I had forgotten dried bananas lick lips lick lips.
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

Dried Bananas are still available in Cyprus.
I have just remembered, we sometimes had Instant Whip, Butterscotch flavour was best.

Moira
Seatallan

Post by Seatallan »

The Huntley & Palmers biscuit factory was still going when I first lived in Reading as a student in the 80's. They were taken over by Nabisco, who eventually closed the Reading factory. The original H&P building is still there (it was converted into flats). Brings back memories!
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Stokey Sue wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:10 am ….. We had the whipped jelly made with evap at school, we called it fluff and loved it, I remember someone’s mother setting a jelly in a glass bowl then putting the same flavour of fluff on top, it seemed quite glam, I think she might have decorated the top for a birthday

Ma made that for birthday teas etc … I forget what she called it but you mixed the whipped evap all together with the jelly then put it in the jellymould. It would separate a bit and the whipped evap would rise to the top and set and the bottom part would just be clear set jelly. Then when you turned it over and unmoulded the whole thing there was clear jelly at the top and the creamy fluffy bit at the bottom. I loved that.

ETA IIRC she only used half the amount of boiling water (half a pint) to dissolve the jelly cubes and allowed that to cool before adding it to half a pint of whipped evap and stirring it in gently.
Last edited by Suffs on Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.