Mint stalks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Amber

Mint stalks

Post by Amber »

I’ve made this tonight, not for the first time, but as I was carefully stripping mint leaves from the stalks, ready to be blended with yoghurt and lemon juice, I wondered about the (green) stalks. Could I have blended them too? What about the flavour? Would I notice any difference? If I added the stalks, could I use less mint leaves?

(I routinely use other non-woody stalks, but have just realised I’ve never used mint stalks)

https://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/ja ... li-recipe/

BTW a simple, prepare ahead recipe,and we add the spinach to the cooked rice. Very tasty.
Suffs

Re: Mint stalks

Post by Suffs »

As long as they’re not woody/stringy I chop them in with the leaves … but mint stalks can turn tough quite quickly so check them first.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Agree with Suffs. Bite one. If it’s tough don’t use them?
But I find I get mint from the garden using scissors because the stems don’t break easily as they are fibrous.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

You can dry them and use them (chopped) for mint tea.
Seatallan

Post by Seatallan »

They're nice used as stirrers in a fruit cup or similar too.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Interesting, thank you. I had similar thoughts tonight with fresh green thyme stalks (chopped, not blended).
(And I’m that person who uses the whole cardamom pod, not just the seeds…..value for money…..I don’t live in Yorkshire for nothing ;) :P :D ).
All very fascinating.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Isn’t the husk of a cardamom pod tasteless? I’ve always thought of it as bland fibre ( I buy the seeds, and grind as needed, buying ground cardamom does seem a waste as it doesn’t really keep well)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stokey Sue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm Isn’t the husk of a cardamom pod tasteless?
I’m not sure, but it’s easier than separating the seeds out ;) :shock: :D .

More roughage maybe ;) :D ?
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

This is all a revelation. I have only ever used mint leaves (usually picked off the growing stalks in the garden) and have removed crushed cardamom pods before serving.I must start experimenting more again :oops:.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I use cardamom in two ways - pods put into the dish whole and fished out intact like bay leaves, or ground seeds.

I buy the seeds with the pods removed, because when I was grinding them in a mortar I found the husks got in the way if I tried to grind them whole. Probably not necessary now I have an efficient spice grinder.

Incidentally, Mamta’s occasional instruction to use “large cardamom” puzzled me until she explained it’s a synonym for black cardamom - they are bigger than the ordinary ones and taste rather different.

If I had a conservatory I might try growing a cardamom plant,
https://www.amazon.in/Cardamom-Plant-Im ... B0CTWXX49X
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

Stokey Sue wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm ( I buy the seeds, and grind as needed, buying ground cardamom does seem a waste as it doesn’t really keep well)
I have never noticed seeds sold on their own, I'll have to look again, and usually fish the pod out at the end if it can be spotted.
Earthmaiden wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 am This is all a revelation. I have only ever used mint leaves (usually picked off the growing stalks in the garden)
I never thought of just removing the leaves, does the empty stalk grow them back again?