What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
KeenCook

What are you baking this week?

Post by KeenCook »

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/food-drin ... DZjCAZHgBA

I've just seen this recipe and thought I might give it a whirl, half quantities, and wanted to ask advice of baking guru(s) (Suelle :D ) on here what size cake tin I should use!
Then realised that I don't think we've got a baking thread yet on here, so have started one.

If there is one, and I've missed it, Mods, please move this over to it! Thanks!

This was smitch's original thread, now some 72 pages long ... foodforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4466
slimpersoninside

Re: What are you baking this week?

Post by slimpersoninside »

Saturday a lemon and blueberry loaf was baked, sorry no picture as we've eaten most of it.

Today it was the turn of a batch of baps. This is a first for me. I'm pleased with how they have come out but we haven't tried them yet - a couple are destined for sausage and/or bacon breakfast baps tomorrow.
Baps.jpg
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

The baps look fab, slimpersoninside

I've just made one of these for the first time ... it's still in the oven https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/coconut-cake

ETA to say it's really good lick lips
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

KeenCook wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:40 pm https://www.countrylife.co.uk/food-drin ... DZjCAZHgBA

I've just seen this recipe and thought I might give it a whirl, half quantities, and wanted to ask advice of baking guru(s) (Suelle :D ) on here what size cake tin I should use!
I think the advice on halving cake recipes is to use a tin which is 2" smaller - so a 7" one in this case.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

Just taken a couple of dozen rolls out of the oven :) Most will go into the freezer tonight.
IMG_4458.JPG
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

You've surpassed yourself, aero! They look really lovely.
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

Great looking batch of baking aero. How many armies are you expecting to feed :D ?
aero280

Post by aero280 »

Once we realised that the bread didn't deteriorate after being frozen, I increased the batch size, so I only have to bake bread every 10 days or so, rather than every three days. I used to make a loaf of bread, but the last heel was always a bit hard and dry by the time we got to it. I made the rolls and one each for a meal is fine and there is no bread hanging around to go stale. OH has asked to pinch half a dozen to give to a neighbour who is dealing with a breavment. I thought that some teacakes might be more "presentworthy", so I have a dozen of those proving at the moment. Basically the same recipe, but with some muscovado sugar added and some fruit.
Last edited by aero280 on Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

And a dozen teacakes. Maybe a touch overbaked, but maybe it's the dark dough with the muscovado in it.
IMG_4459.JPG
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

They look good to me lick lips . Lucky neighbour!
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Suelle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:45 pm
KeenCook wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:40 pm https://www.countrylife.co.uk/food-drin ... DZjCAZHgBA

I think the advice on halving cake recipes is to use a tin which is 2" smaller - so a 7" one in this case.

Thanks so much Suelle. Is there any advice on how long to adjust the baking time?
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

KeenCook wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:10 am
Thanks so much Suelle. Is there any advice on how long to adjust the baking time?
I think half the recipe quantities, in the smaller tin, will make a slightly deeper cake, so I don't think the cooking time will change a lot. Possibly test after 50 minutes.
halfateabag

Post by halfateabag »

I used one of my 25p 500g bags of complete bread mix in the bread maker today as the sun was on the solar panels. It smelt wonderful and OH asked for the crust with butter as it made him hungry - after his lunch :shock:

So much more light coming in the windows now that he has cleaned them !!!!
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

The upside down cake has just come out of the oven and is cooling. In the end I only had an 8 inch tin, rather than the 7 inch for half quantities Suelle suggested - but it looks fine.

I forgot to sprinkle sugar on the orange slices before pouring the cake batter over them :oops:

Other than that mistake, I slightly reduced the amount of sugar in the cake mix, and I have used less sugar in the syrup ...

Will hopefully get a good pic of it when I turn it out of the tin; we'll see what it looks like!!
ETA, hmm, looks a bit pale - next time I'll remember to add the sugar to the orange slices before I add the cake mix!
Attachments
orange and almond cake .JPG
ZeroCook

Post by ZeroCook »

Looks delicious KC2. Will you post a pic of a slice showing the texture and how it tasted? :D

Not sure if flat bread counts as baking, but took a couple of pics of naan making today. I usually make twelve at a time and like all bread, as Aero has found, freezes excellently.

gillthepainter

Post by gillthepainter »

Your upside down cake looks gorgeous, Keencook
Very elegant, as M. Roux Jr would say.

Beautiful view of naan bread cooking, Zero.
Nice bit of blister charring. Do you ever do flavoured naans or just plain?
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Love the naan, ZC! Am following Binky's waffle/ roti thread :thumbsup

Thanks, Gill :D

Here's the penultimate slice of the cake lick lips

The orange flavour was lovely, and the orange slices were juicy, but I think even reducing the sugar in the cake and the syrup it was still a bit sweet. I think I'll reduce it a little bit further next time, and maybe add some zest to the cake mix.

I must admit, I used ground almonds for ease, plus a bit of almond essence. If I can be bothered I might grind my own nuts next time as the slightly coarser texture might be nice - as the recipe suggests.

I think there will be a next time :thumbsup
Attachments
Slice of upside down orange and almond cake.JPG
ZeroCook

Post by ZeroCook »

Sounds and looks very good KC2 and interesting note on the sugar, too. Surprisingly, I've never made an orange cake of any type, even the classic Claudia Roden one.
gillthepainter

Post by gillthepainter »

I made one, and found it very bitter, with the pith included. So haven't tried it since.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

I usually do the Nigella version with satsumas or clementines around Christmas. It seems pretty consistent.