What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
slimpersoninside

Re: What are you baking this week?

Post by slimpersoninside »

Oooh, very nice Sue.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Lecker!!!
slimpersoninside

This afternoon I made a Mrs Robin's Fruit Cake. Someone mentioned making one a while back (Suffs?) and, as I fancied a boiled fruit cake but couldn't find the recipe I've used in the past, Google came to my rescue. I added a teaspoon of mixed spice just because I like it. It will be added to my list!
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Glad you liked it. My recipe for Mrs Robin's fruit cake does have mixed spice in it but I always increase the amount. Sometimes I use black tea instead of the water. That works well too.
slimpersoninside

Cheers Suffs. Sounds like it's versatile too! For the fruit I used sultanas and raisins as that's what I had, hubby has mentioned using chopped dates instead next time as they're his favourite.
scullion

Post by scullion »

IMG_4860.JPG
rather pleased with those (although they are massive). they were a lot easier than i expected - especially as i rearranged the recipe schedule...
i'll take more notice of oven temp and time next time - i used those from the 'other' website rather from the 'sourdough' website - and i will make them nearer a regular croissant size next time!
( my partner had the biggest one - i had the smallest, which was nearer to normal size!)
aero280

Post by aero280 »

They look nice! :)

I have a croissanr recipe somewhere. They have been on my to-do list for a while. But the usual problem, if I make them, we eat them...
scullion

Post by scullion »

yeah, they've been on my 'attempt' list for a very long time so finally bit the bullet. glad i did.
they just need a bit more time/schedule planning than ordinary (sourdough) bread.
i tried cutting my partner's one open to show the laminations but even though the knife is razor sharp it still squashed it a bit more than would show them accurately (slicing and not pushing on the knife).

ps. you can freeze them at the rolled up but unprooved/uncooked stage.
aero280

Post by aero280 »

Freezing...

I've done frozen dough once a while back and it was OK, but since I found that bread freezes well after baking, I've done it that way. It makes the bread available much more quickly!! :)
scullion

Post by scullion »

i was thinking about freezer space (ours is small) - if i put cooked ones in to ours they'd come out as squashed packets of flakes because i've packed other things in to the space!
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Those look great Scullion

I once made some rather good croissants following a step-by-step illustrated recipe from Good Housekeeping, there was one in every magazine. I lost the clipping, so invested in Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Recipes book, thinking it would be a collection of the magazine recipes. It’s not, and 30 years on I’m still annoyed, though it’s a good book.

I’m eyeing up M&S frozen croissants to bake at home.
slimpersoninside

They look good Scully. I have them on my to do list too, maybe one day.

My baking effort today was a Golden Syrup Loaf Cake. I do like a slice of cake with my warm drink in the evening!

If you do give the M&S frozen ones a go Sue please could you give your verdict, we use Ocado so easily available (I expect). Thanks.
janetmw

Post by janetmw »

Suffs wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 am Glad you liked it. My recipe for Mrs Robin's fruit cake does have mixed spice in it but I always increase the amount. Sometimes I use black tea instead of the water. That works well too.
It is also delicious using a strong dark beer such as Old Peculiar!
aero280

Post by aero280 »

I was distracted this afternoon when baking the bread rolls. I forgot to add a glug of oil. The rolls are fine and a lot rounder than usual, so I may reduce the fluid content a touch in future.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

janetmw wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:16 pm
Suffs wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 am Glad you liked it. My recipe for Mrs Robin's fruit cake does have mixed spice in it but I always increase the amount. Sometimes I use black tea instead of the water. That works well too.

I bet it is lick lips
slimpersoninside

janetmw wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:16 pm
Another interesting idea thanks. I'm sure hubby would approve ;).
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

A Meissen cheesecake was baked this afternoon, and although it is a tad blonder than usual it did not sink in the middle. :D
aero280

Post by aero280 »

This year's Simnel cake is out of the oven. I tried a slightly different recipe this year. It calls for an egg wash on the top instead of egg white. It meant that the toasting of the top caused blistering rather than browning. Back to egg white next time. I have some chocolate mini eggs for the middle, but it's too warm to put them on tonight.

IMG_5247.JPG
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Looks great, aero.
scullion

Post by scullion »

hmm - simnel cake...

i have now added the things i need to the shopping list (though i'll make the marzipan - i prefer the flavour).