Healthy Eating

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
Stokey Sue

Healthy Eating

Post by Stokey Sue »

I have my own quite strong feelings about what counts as healthy eating - and even more about what doesn’t

Who looked surprised? :D

I’ll be interested to see what you all put here - requests for information, or suggestions on how to achieve healthy eating, discussions of the latest scares so we can assess how scary we really find them?

Over to you health fiends! Enjoy
Renee

Re: Healthy Eating

Post by Renee »

Just laughing here, cos you posted it in June! Has everyone gone off track with healthy eating? ;) I do that quite often.

I try to follow a Mediterranean diet with plenty of colour where vegetables are concerned. I have berries for breakfast with Greek yogurt and Crunchy Bran. Fish I love! Last night I made a Spanish style sauce using British cherry tomatoes, shallots and garlic, softened in olive oil, then added oregano, La Chinata Spanish Paprika. I nestled a piece of hake in the sauce, covered with a lid and simmered for a few minutes. It was so good. I try to drink hibiscus tea every day, wine and G&T!

The important thing for a long life is to eat less, rather than more, which my mother always did and lived to be 101, as I've mentioned previously
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Renee wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:55 pm Just laughing here, cos you posted it in June! Has everyone gone off track with healthy eating? ;) I do that quite often.
I think it's more what Sue said in the first post - everyone's idea of healthy is different, and what you apply to yourself isn't necessarily worth passing on to others.

In particular, if 'healthy' eating involves trying to keep your weight at least stable, if not decreasing, then what works for you won't always help anyone else.
Renee

Post by Renee »

I said that rather lightheartedly Suelle. I was referring to healthy eating in my own life, which wasn't really about trying to lose weight.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

It’s about whatever comes up - new info perhaps or queries

As long as it doesn’t descend to looking at a food and asking “does it look healthy?”

To which my answer will always be “oh, does it look ill?” As far as I know there are no good or bad foods, though there are obviously diets that are more likely to be health promoting than others.
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Renee wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:37 pm I said that rather lightheartedly Suelle. I was referring to healthy eating in my own life, which wasn't really about trying to lose weight.
I was speaking rather generally, not making any real reference to your style of eating. Sorry if you thought I was getting at you.
Renee

Post by Renee »

That's alright Suelle. I really need to read more slowly and think carefully before I write!
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

What do you reckon about this?
I am immuno-compromised but smoked salmon is one of my absolutely favourite treats!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62875544
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

The Food Standards Agency usually knows what it's talking about.

It's not clear whether the '14 linked cases' is 14 individuals (which is a very small number when you consider how much smoked salmon must be eaten), or 14 outbreaks involving more people, which would suggest a higher risk.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

If you dig about online a bit more this seems to have been big news a few months ago rather than now.

The 14 cases have been between 2020 and 2022 with 8 being in 2022, several in Scotland.

I do think it highlights that food which is processed in any way and which goes through the seller chain is prone to risk. There was a case concerning Waitrose salmon a few months ago but at least they sample their fish which was how they spotted the problem, so hopefully no-one ate any.

I guess it's a matter of personal choice. Certainly I am as scrupulous as I can be about such foods as I am sure we all are but you just don't know, especially as some of our waters are more polluted than they should be.
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

I'm not sure there is any greater risk of Listeria from smoked fish than other deli items such as soft cheese and pate. I suspect we might eat more smoked salmon etc. routinely now as they are supermarket staples so it's highlighted the risk which probably isn't a new one. Doesn't excuse any shoddy production or retail storage issues but I wonder if at home some folk might be less rigorous re storage etc. because it's cured and keep packs open or out of the fridge longer than is wise.
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

liketocook wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:53 pm I'm not sure there is any greater risk of Listeria from smoked fish than other deli items such as soft cheese and pate. I suspect we might eat more smoked salmon etc. routinely now as they are supermarket staples so it's highlighted the risk which probably isn't a new one. Doesn't excuse any shoddy production or retail storage issues but I wonder if at home some folk might be less rigorous re storage etc. because it's cured and keep packs open or out of the fridge longer than is wise.
That's quite likely to be the case with sandwiches - bought on the way to work and kept on a desk until lunchtime.
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

My SIL has had a liver transplant so is immuno-compromised. She's been told not to eat smoked salmon, pate, blue cheese...and other things I can't remember.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Mrs B was told to avoid buffets, delis and barbecues immediately post-transplant. After a couple of years, once the kidney was stable and the drug dosage reduced somewhat, the message was a bit less proscriptive. The main thing they were worried about was raw milk products. We have, therefore, resumed the consumption of deli food and barbecues at homebut she’s still wary of uncovered cold food on buffets or serving counters.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Interesting - I wouldn't consider myself as endangered as transplant patients - my vulnerability stems from immuno-suppressant medication.
Badger's Mate wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:56 am We have, therefore, resumed the consumption of deli food and barbecues at home but she’s still wary of uncovered cold food on buffets or serving counters.
Very wise!!
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

Which is the same as a transplant patient - my SIL has to have immuno-suppressant medication to stop her body rejecting the transplanted liver.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ou-thought

I'm sure none of us were under any illusions about UPF! (Ultra-processed food.)
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I think Andrew Anthony p, who wrote the Guardian article, is under quite a lot of illusions about UPFs

Not least believing that there’s any scientific basis to NOVA), I’ve read it several times, you can hear the steady thumps of people jumping on a passing bandwagon, but an almost complete lack of proper scientific context.

Here’s an article that debunks NOVA, written by Anthony Warner, formerly known as Angry Chef, who has trained and worked as both a biochemist and a development chef I concur with his conclusion that is, in a nutshell, many people panic about UPFs because they are made by Big Food, so must be Bond villain bad, in the same way as vaccines are made by Big Pharma so bad. But believing in UPF doesn’t require the same level of conspiracy mania of course.

https://www.fruitionfoods.com/blog/upf
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

“The ultra-processed nature of modern food generally means that the complex structure of the plant and animal cells is destroyed, turning it into a nutritionally empty mush that our body can process abnormally rapidly.”
Bless. Doner kebab, Big Mac - bread, mince, salad, pickle, chips. KFC - chicken, chips, baked beans, coleslaw. Chinese - stir fried veg, meat, rice.

A diet of takeaways would be considered bad but in no sense is the complex structure of the plant and animal cells destroyed. It reminds me of Flann O’Brien’s mollycule theory. :D
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I quite understand why those who have trained in the field may mock - and with good reason.

Surely the point is that there has been an almost total failure over a long period to effectively reign in the cheap foods which are nutritionally poor (and which may, or may not be produced by multinationals with money and cronies) and to educate on what is good, and why, simply and clearly and to make sure it is accessible. I'm sure most of us would be glad that a child had access to beans on toast for a meal even if not perfect, rather than Haribos.