Air Fryers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Rainbow

Re: Air Fryers

Post by Rainbow »

Stokey Sue wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:01 am I have found most spray oils useless, particularly FryLight which clogs the nozzle, but the Sizzola brand is ok and Morrisons own brand seems to be in the same spray bottles
Glad I'm not the only one who finds the sprays useless!! I've bought a couple over the years but hardly used either of them!!
RockyBVI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:18 am
It depends what you're cooking. I don't get on with sprays - they dribble, spray in all directions and go rancid quickly, and I also find them difficult to use for some reason - holding and spraying with one hand just doesn't seem feasible for my finger joints. If I need oil, I use a teaspoon of oil from a bottle and tumble the objects (usually potatoes) in that before seasoning and cooking.
That's what I do. Or I use a brush to oil a tin or muffin cases etc.
RockyBVI

Post by RockyBVI »

I don’t have silicon trays but (apart from a cheese and ham pitta) haven’t felt the need to use one (or a foil tray). What do people use the trays for. I’m obviously missing a trick!
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I use them for just about everything (to place the food like a baking tray in a conventional oven). Everything sticks like glue to the base racks whether oiled or not :evil: so the trays save a lot of cussing and soaking :D.

Also of course if you have a mixture (cake, yorkshire pud, cottage pie etc) which is runny at the start. I make scones just for me by mixing the ingredients and putting dollops on baking parchment laid over the base rack. The only thing to watch is that anything on baking parchment is fairly heavy or the parchment will be sucked up by the air and burn on the element above.
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Wot EM says. I’ve not actually used mine yet (doing chips tonight though) but everyone I know who has one has said get a silicone tray or something because they can be difficult to clean without.

Not sure how to clean the element yet though so if anyone has advice on that….

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

I have a Ninja and it's an absolute breeze to clean. Nothing sticks in it and I just soak the pans in warm water and soap then use a soft brush to get rid of any grease. The only time I would use any liner is if I was cooking something in a sauce, just to keep it all together.
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Earthmaiden wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:48 am I use them for just about everything (to place the food like a baking tray in a conventional oven). Everything sticks like glue to the base racks whether oiled or not :evil: so the trays save a lot of cussing and soaking :D.
It must depend on your make of air-fryer. Food never sticks to the rack in mine, and it's very easy to clean - I have a cloth that is nubbly on one side but said to be suitable for non-stick surfaces. I use it for the basket too.
Similar to this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilo-Non-Scrat ... =8-10&th=1
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

It looks a good scourer Suelle. Mine is quite easy to clean after a soak. The most annoying thing is food sticking. That's why I find the foil trays useful.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Pampy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:38 pm I have a Ninja and it's an absolute breeze to clean. Nothing sticks in it and I just soak the pans in warm water and soap then use a soft brush to get rid of any grease.
My Ninja is the same - very easy to clean. I have a cake tin with handle (easier to get out) which I've used for soft mixtures or food with a sauce.
I bought some accessories for the air fryer from Amazon which included the tin, a silicone liner, some paper liners, tongs, and other bits. It was missing a silicone mat and when I phoned to tell them I thought they might send it on separately. Instead she said she'd refund my money but I could keep all the stuff I'd already received!!! So a very cheap set of accessories!!
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

My first attempt in the air fryer and they were excellent, will definitely have to experiment more.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Amber

Post by Amber »

Jamie’s air-fryer meals tonight looked very interesting. Bar the single meringue which took up a whole basket, for a one person size portion??

Most of the recipes were easily adaptable to a normal oven.
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Saw that too....
I have made merengue in my AF ..
One egg white does expand a lot and you could see only a single portion fit in the larger basket..however it only took 12 mins...
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Amber wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:33 pm Most of the recipes were easily adaptable to a normal oven.
I didn't watch it but find that most recipes for a normal oven easily adapt (often smaller amounts but same ratios)to an air fryer- using fan oven instructions.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Hard boiled eggs, 14 minutes at 130 then plunge into iced water. Perfect.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Not having an air fryer I’m confused by that PepperP … for me hardboiled eggs take about 8 mins in a pan of boiling water … then I plunge them into cold water. Perfect. Where’s the advantage :?
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

Well for me no pans of boiling water that I might drop!
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I tried soft 'boiled' eggs. 7 mins. Worked well the first time, not so well the second.
It was good not having to watch for the water to boil. When I make hard boiled eggs I'm rather good at forgetting about them and boiling the pan dry (An egg once exploded onto the ceiling from a dry pan) so will try this.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

I hadn’t cottoned on that carrying things was a problem PepperP … sorry.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boiling-Changi ... B089NKNBKN
and usually set a timer too.
Last edited by Suffs on Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Even though I have an AF, I still boil my eggs in a small saucepan, as I did this morning.... cover with cold water and cover the saucepan with a saucer . Bring to the boil (takes about as long as brewing my tea for 5 minutes), then turn gas off and leave for as long as necessary (4 minutes for soft boiled, but much longer for hard boiled)
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I didn't know you could cook them like that on gas, Pat. We always did it that way on an electric hob when I was a child, I was led to believe it was only possible because of the heat retained on the hotplate after it had been switched off.

A timer's a good idea if you remember to take it with you into another room :roll:. I wouldn't leave it for a soft boiled egg.
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

Pepper Pig wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:09 pm Hard boiled eggs, 14 minutes at 130 then plunge into iced water. Perfect.
I tried that for the first time at the weekend - very impressed.

One advantage to this method is that I found the eggs much easier to peel when cold.