Non food related TV

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
Ameew

Non food related TV

Post by Ameew »

Thought I’d start a thread for non food TV recommendations … mainly as looking for suggestions for myself
KeenCook

Re: Non food related TV

Post by KeenCook »

Good idea, Amy!
Do you like legal dramas? We saw The Good Fight, I can't remember which streaming platform it was on, and are now watching The Good Wife, on All4, which was the prequel.
We're absolutely hooked! We're still in the first series, I think there are six or seven.

We've also enjoyed several of the Walter Presents European drama series.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Ah I’ve heard good things about both of them so will check it out . A little late to the proceedings but just starting to watch @Sherwood “ on BBC IPlayer which seems good
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

I struggled to follow bits of Sherwood.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

Really looking forward to Shetland starting on 10 Aug though.
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

I also watch a lot of the 'Walter Presents' foreign dramas on All4; some are better than others and you need to stay alert enough to read subtitles. :D

I'm enjoying The Undeclared War on C4 - about a cyber war, seemingly between Russia and UK, set in the near future - rigged elections via hacking etc. There looks like a massive twist coming in the last episode, however, so I think not all is as it seems!

I binge watched the whole series of The West Wing during lockdown, having missed it when first shown. Highly recommended.
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

If you have the apps on your TV or a Chromecast to cast them from a phone or tablet then there is some great stuff especially on All4, Channel 5 and UKTV. One series I got hooked on during the first lockdown was The Brokenwood Mysteries, they’re on the Drama channel and the full series is on the UKTV app, it’s set in New Zealand. I’ll think of some more later.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

I too have enjoyed the Brokenwood Mysteries. I have it on series record, so I still keep finding episodes I have already seen. A gentle watch, usually a murder, but nothing too gruesome, unlike Walter Presents, that can be a hard watch.

I have sub-titles on all the time, so never have problems with those.

I am also enjoying 'Murder in Provence' once you get used to all the cast being very English in a French country. The 2 leads are brilliant together.

Recently eventually caught up with the first series of 'Outlaws' with a stonker of a finale. Still have the second series to catch up on.

Two Doors Down on BBC on Fridays - half hour of excrutiatingly true to life happenings between neighbours.
slimpersoninside

Post by slimpersoninside »

We watched the first episode of Annika, starring Nicola Walker, on iplayer yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

Would recommend "Thirteen" on i-player. Was out a few years ago but hidden on BBC3. We;; worth a watch if you missed it at the time, I've just re-watched it as DS2 hadn't seen it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017x7h
Watched "Roadrunner" last night on Netflix, sort of foodie as about Anthony Bourdain. I didn't have high expectations but really enjoyed it
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Good news is Patsy that series 8 of The Brokenwood Mysteries should be out soon. It’s already been released in NZ, US (?) and Australia.

Cheers
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Brilliant .... thanks NLB :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

I’ve just binge watched The Newsreader on iPlayer, it’s on BBC1 but I was recording another programme so only caught up with it yesterday and today - I binge watched all 6 episodes, brilliant. It’s set in early 1986 and goes from AIDS to the Chernobyl meltdown in April of that year. It’s an Australian drama of 6 episodes and stars Anna Torv, who I think is a brilliant actor, well worth watching.

Cheers
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I've been watching that too, NLB. I've binge watched 4 episodes so far.

I often get very nervous as dramas develop and you don't know how they'll end.
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Oooooh, I've got that on series record. :thumbsup Ploughing my way through TROM at the moment ... a murder set in the Faroe Islands ... they wear a lot of those jumpers made with pure wool that make me itch just looking at them ;)
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

northleedsbhoy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:02 pm I’ve just binge watched The Newsreader on iPlayer, it’s on BBC1 but I was recording another programme so only caught up with it yesterday and today - I binge watched all 6 episodes, brilliant. It’s set in early 1986 and goes from AIDS to the Chernobyl meltdown in April of that year. It’s an Australian drama of 6 episodes and stars Anna Torv, who I think is a brilliant actor, well worth watching.
We really enjoyed that series, too.
But William McInnes used to play such nice guys - lots of sex appeal! Very different character in this one!!

northleedsbhoy You'll be pleased to see that according to Wiki-
"On 30 March 2022, ABC confirmed that The Newsreader had been renewed for a second series, to be set in 1987. and production began in Melbourne in July 2022."
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Thanks Rainbow, that’s great news. Since I’ve had Netflix and Acorn TV I’ve watched a few Australian/New Zealand dramas and enjoyed them. Jack Irish is one that springs to mind.

Cheers
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Good to hear you get to see stuff from over here. We see lots from the UK!!
And I love Jack Irish. Wish they'd make some more!!
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Rainbow wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:58 am Good to hear you get to see stuff from over here. We see lots from the UK!!
And I love Jack Irish. Wish they'd make some more!!
We’re fed a diet of mainly US programmes on some mainstream TV channels and Australian/New Zealand drama’s are mainly forgotten although Brokenwood and a couple of others are aired, but not all that frequently. Streaming services have taken up the slack to some extent but it makes me wonder if some terrestrial UK TV channels, especially Channel 5, are missing a golden opportunity.

Cheers
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Oooh, we get "Brokenwood", too. Lovely!!! But it is dubbed.