TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.
KeenCook

Re: Non food related TV

Post by KeenCook »

Would any of you recommend The Tourist?
Suelle

Post by Suelle »

KeenCook wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:36 pm Would any of you recommend The Tourist?
Absolutely - if you don't mind blood, graphic violence, swearing and a complicated plot! :D

I've just watched the first episode, and was tempted to watch the second straight away, but will save it for tomorrow - spread out the pleasure!
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Another good series starting this week on Drama (Thursday I think) is Darby and Joan. It stars Bryan Brown and Greta Satcchi, she’s a widow who travels to Australia to find out more about her husband’s death, it’s a comedy/drama and easy watching. I watched it previously on Acorn.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Some Freeview channel updates and recent storm information.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/freeview-comp ... on-issues/

Cheers
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Thanks NLB. I have mentioned before that I expect to scrap Virgin and use the terrestrial service very soon. They seem to have quite a few transmission problems from the Oxford transmitter round here and DD in Sussex says they get a few as well. It makes me slightly nervous but I think I would eventually find everything I wanted on iPlayer etc.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

northleedsbhoy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:18 pm Another good series starting this week on Drama (Thursday I think) is Darby and Joan. It stars Bryan Brown and Greta Satcchi, she’s a widow who travels to Australia to find out more about her husband’s death, it’s a comedy/drama and easy watching. I watched it previously on Acorn.
I saw that advertised on the ABC last night and wondered if it would be worth watching as I like Bryan Brown.
We'll have to give it a go - thanks NLB.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

NLB - we caught 'Darby and Joan' last night and enjoyed it - thanks for recommending it :)

Apart from the 2 main actors we recognised lots of the others - a lot of well known (in Australia, anyway!!) faces in there!
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

Rainbow wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:11 pm NLB - we caught 'Darby and Joan' last night and enjoyed it - thanks for recommending it :)

Apart from the 2 main actors we recognised lots of the others - a lot of well known (in Australia, anyway!!) faces in there!
I’m glad you liked it. I’ve watched some great content on Acorn and another one I really enjoyed is Under the Vines about an Australian woman (Rebecca Gibney) and an English man (Charles Edwards) who inherit a vineyard in rural New Zealand. It’s another comedy/drama and well worth watching, there’s also a great ensemble cast.

Cheers
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

If anyone has been having problems accessing BBC iPlayer this gives advice on a possible solution.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/bbc-shares-ad ... ror-02050/

Cheers
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »

This interview on BBC2 with Sheila Hancock tonight was very good. (I'm not mad on him though). https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vgpx

It precedes Edie which is on later tonight. Hancock really did have to climb a mountain to film it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000scgc
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

In other news I’ve finished S1 of the Tourist. V good - expected Dornan to be good, but his two leading ladies were amazing, not surprised Danielle Macdonald (Helen) won a breakthrough award, one of the most expressive faces on tv.

Will have a little pause before I binge S2
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Pepper Pig wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:45 pm This interview on BBC2 with Sheila Hancock tonight was very good. (I'm not mad on him though). https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vgpx

It precedes Edie which is on later tonight. Hancock really did have to climb a mountain to film it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000scgc
I have seen both ... excellent :thumbsup
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Patsy, PP, I was just about to post about that too! I thought she was fab. It's the first one of Amol Rajan's interviews we've seen, I want to see Ian McKellan now. I liked him, it was pleasantly unstuffy.

Good to hear you'd also recommend the film :thumbsup
scullion

Post by scullion »

i, too, thought it was a really good interview. such an interesting woman.
- and i thought amol rajan did an excellent job. when he first started on radio four his delivery really annoyed me - like a machine gun and with odd emphasis. i think he's worked on that (as mentioned in the interview) and i now can listen to what he's saying rather than getting stuck on how he's saying it.
i also like the way he hosts university challenge - a much softer, nonjudgemental approach than paxman used.

anyone else watching 'the traitors' and the following 'uncloaked' programme?
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I stopped watching University Challenge because I couldn't hear him well. I may watch the interview to see if there's an improvement.

I had meant to ask if anyone was watching The Traitor. It seems to have become a thing. I noticed it was on for the first time this week but that it was series 2 :?. Probably too late to start it. The same happened to me with Game of Thrones and Star Wars ... too late by the time it reached me :D.
mistakened

Post by mistakened »

Earthmaiden wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:44 pm I had meant to ask if anyone was watching The Traitor
Yes, we watched the first series too. I realise that a lot of the suspense is due to the editing.

Moira
scullion

Post by scullion »

you could always watch on catch-up, earthmaiden.

we find it fascinating how people tick - and decide who they think are traitors or faithfuls.
the use of team challenges followed by the round table is a genius way of bringing people together then pulling them apart again - and leaving them in a heightened state for the overnight/breakfast reveal.
mistakened wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:18 pm I realise that a lot of the suspense is due to the editing.
of course - but then that is also so on the bake-off and sewing bee etc.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Such a lot to catch up on! I might give it a try though.
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

If you’ve had trouble with reception on Freeview after last night’s bit of a breeze then blame Isha. Some are not expected to get reception back until later this week.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/storm-isha-bl ... reception/

Cheers
scullion

Post by scullion »

for those with netflix.
the sandra bullock film 'the lost city' is a good comedy romp along the lines of indiana jones or romancing the stone.
the (usual) english baddie is played by daniel radcliffe.
also contains nuts - oops - channing tatum and brad pit.