Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Earthmaiden

Re: Soup

Post by Earthmaiden »

KC has published this link on the media thread. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/j ... rd-recipes

The last recipe for soup from things lurking in the larder interested me because it seems a fairly bland soup even by my standards but contains a spoonful of vinegar. I'd happily use lemon juice but think the vinegar might be just the thing for this.

I made a really tasty soup tonight from things lurking. Small amounts of butternut squash, carrot, white turnip, some sad looking mushrooms, onion, leek, garlic, broccoli stalks a Kallo cube, lots of pepper, a small pinch of Chinese 5 spice and water plus about 2 tblesp cream left in a pot. Some left for tomorrow too which will be lovely.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Yes the vinegar is interesting but I don’t think it would be bland with all those alliums, and some herbs.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

OH is a great believer in vinegar - he adds it to all sorts of things I wouldn't necessarily have thought to do the same.
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

Vinegar is a must in any soup with pulses over here. :P
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

Uschi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:19 pm Vinegar is a must in any soup with pulses over here. :P
Snap! Vinegar & pulses were made for each other.

A rib-sticking Butterbean minestrone soup here on the go last week & a pinto one this week - no particular recipe, but plenty of ginger/garlic/chilli in with the veg.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

One of the Guardian suggestions for leftovers was a soup using radish greens, I had a binch of them so thought I'd try.
I didn't follow the recipe but it was mentioned that it can be treated as a varaiant on watecress soup, so that's what I did

I softened an onion and a fairly large spud in a bit of butter in the Instant Pot, added water, salt, pepper and a pinch of Marigold bouillon. Cooked on high pressure for 12 minutes, quick pressure release, added the shredded greens to the very hot liquid and blitzed with a stick blender when they had softened. Delicious, and very easy, 3 portions of a light soup to eat with a sandwich for lunch

I was interested as I've tried various things with the radish leaves before, but not liked the textur
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Are they slightly peppery like watercress and radishes? Do you buy them as a vegetable or use tops sold with radishes? I haven't seen either except when I've grown my own.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I just used the greens from a bunch of radishes from the shop over the road, nearly all the radishes I see for sale round here are intact, roots and leaves in a bunch with a rubber band round them. Sometimes you have to rummage through the leaves to find all the radishes.

Not as peppery as watercress (though that loses a lot when it softens in the hot soup) but nice
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I do envy your selection of shops!
Lusciouslush

Post by Lusciouslush »

I made butternut squash & lentil soup over the weekend for lunches - absolutely delish, but I'd forgotten how arduous the peeling is - worth it tho' - think roasting first helps & the way to go.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Microwaving the butternut squash for a bit helps with the peeling or I’ve roasted it with the skin on before too and it’s been fine
halfateabag

Q

Post by halfateabag »

Stock, carrot, cardamon and orange (lovely Tunisian one) zest with small pasta and quite a bit of black pepper soup for half of our lunch today. Mmmm !
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I made a recipe from Sabrina Ghayour’s Persiana Everyday - butter nut squash, onion, garlic flavoured with turmeric, cardamom and coriander seed (original was cumin, but I’m off cumin) plus S&P. Cooked in the IP, blitzed then finished with a little tahini, a good trick.

I don’t find BNS too hard to peel, I cut it in sections and peel with a small paring knife with a curved blade.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

I do the same as you SSue … I cut into sections, remove the seeds and peel … but I use a peeler similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-11259100ML ... 0445&psc=1 … having it in sections it’s easy to hold with one hand and peel with the other. Takes very little time.

The other day I made a spiced butternut, lentil and tomato soup for OH’s lunch flasks this week … quite a bit of ground roasted cumin and some chilli flakes … it’s very tasty.
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Some years ago, probably around 20, Mrs B went to the Ideal Home Exhibition with a friend and brought back a set of 3 of those Y-shaped peelers. One with a normal blade, one serrated for peeling delicate fruit & veg and one for julienne. I hardly ever use the last of these but despite looking a bit flimsy they’re all still going strong and the serrated one will peel anything.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I have a similar OXO peeler, and several others, but I find peelers tend to slip on BNS and don’t always take off a thick enough layer

I use this for BNS, celeriac etc actually called a shaping or turning knife

https://www.victorinox.com/en-GB/Produc ... e/p/6.7501
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I've just made some quite passable soup from ends of veg which were in the fridge plus flavourings and a couple of stock cubes. Lemon juice corrected the acidity level.

I slice BNS then cut downwards round the rings with a knife. I find it the easiest way by far. It might waste a small amount of flesh but its worth it. I find my OXO peeler good for most other things. Not as good as the little peeler I stole from the home science room at school and used for years though!
Badger's Mate

Post by Badger's Mate »

Our peelers are Zyliss; they no longer seem to make the y-shaped ones like we have got, but there is a serrated one with a straight handle for peeling soft fruit and veg. Our one is equally good on firm shiny peel, such as squash, as the serrations dig into it. It also works really well for zesting wide strips of citrus peel.
Pepper Pig

Post by Pepper Pig »