Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Earthmaiden

Re: Soup

Post by Earthmaiden »

As mentioned on the chat thread. I got a soup maker yesterday! Quite a frivolous purchase but my initial leek & potato was a great success.

I'm really looking forward to finding rtc or cheap veg to justify my purchase. It might be a way of using up herbs and spices relegated to the back of the drawer too. Has anyone tried any unusual soup flavours recently?
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

Earthmaiden wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:02 am As mentioned on the chat thread. I got a soup maker yesterday! Quite a frivolous purchase but my initial leek & potato was a great success.

I'm really looking forward to finding rtc or cheap veg to justify my purchase. It might be a way of using up herbs and spices relegated to the back of the drawer too. Has anyone tried any unusual soup flavours recently?
EM I've just blitzed the leftovers of this with some stock and a couple of cooked baby spuds to make soup for lunch. https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/pest ... e-pot.html , it tastes fab. I think broccoli, pea and pesto soup will be on my "make" list some time soon.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

I picked up a 1kg bag of wonky carrots for 30p today, so I have made a big pan of soup.
I used the usual stuff - onion, ginger, veg stock and nutritional yeast.
Really nice with a slice of toast.

I do prefer toast rather than bread with soup, I enjoy the contrast in texture.
halfateabag

Post by halfateabag »

Cold enough for Borscht with caraway dumplings (2 each) today and it was very tasty.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

Cauliflower soup for me today.
It was nice but it didn't really taste of cauli, probably a bit too delicate in flavour for soup.
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Add some cheese to it . I’ve blitzed some left over cauliflower cheese before with veg stock and seasoned really well and it’s been really good
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Cheese sounds nice.

In my wholefood restaurant days we always added garlic to cauliflower soup.
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

Good suggestion
And I have just remembered there is a parmesan rind in the freezer.
janetmw

Post by janetmw »

I find curry spices are nice in cauliflower soup.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

I also use curry spices for cauliflower soup … cumin is especially good. One of OH’s favourites 😋

Something along these lines https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cauliflower-soup
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I quite like a classic creme Dubarry, puréed cauliflower thickened with a roux (I.e. make a small amount of thick bechamel and mixed with the purée, thinning down with the cooking liquid), season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, finish with a little cream.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We had home made pea and ham soup. Delicious. Especially as marrowfat peas only need two hours soaking. And Waitrose sell ready pulled ham hock. Easy!

https://www.thecrazykitchen.co.uk/2015/ ... -soup.html
liketocook

Post by liketocook »

Spicy sweetcorn chowder for dinner last night. Great store cupboard soup perfect for a chilly night, just sautéed onion, garlic, diced spuds, stock, cayenne, tinned corn and s&p. Blitzed until smoothish. We had it with cheese topped tortilla chips. Based on a Nigella recipe.
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

This is on the stove as I'm trying to use up some orange juice https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/discov ... range-soup
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

use up some orange juice
I would use it up with a splash of vodka ;)
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I prefer the soup - unless I have Galliano to make a proper Screwdriver

Just had the third (of four) portions of a celery soup I made roughly folloing an internet recipe

1 small onion and 2 cloves garlic softened in a little olive oil
Added
350 g celery (most of a large head, 3 cups when stringed and chopped)
1 medium baking spud (1 cup when diced)
A little Marigold bouillon, some salt and enough water (about 3 cups) to cover

Cooked 10 minutes under pressure, natural release
Added a good amount (about 2tbs of each) of chopped parsley and dill, allowed to wilt in the heat but not really cook, and some pepper
Blitzed
Lovely - parsley, dill and celery are quite closely related and the flavours blended well

Sorry about the cup measures, but soup is a place I do use them, as a rough guide to proportions. I will make some 1 cup minestrone soon - a cup of each veg once prepper (roughly)
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

liketocook wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:07 am Spicy sweetcorn chowder for dinner last night. Great store cupboard soup perfect for a chilly night, just sautéed onion, garlic, diced spuds, stock, cayenne, tinned corn and s&p. Blitzed until smoothish. We had it with cheese topped tortilla chips. Based on a Nigella recipe.
I’ve made that before and it’s really nice
Ameew

Post by Ameew »

Going to make parsnip soup tomorrow ? Any suggestions about what else to put in it … well apart from the parsnips 😂 please
WWordsworth

Post by WWordsworth »

I used to make a Cranks recipe that was parsnip and apple soup.
Suspect it might be too sweet for me these days though.