Door Key Safes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
PatsyMFagan

Door Key Safes

Post by PatsyMFagan »

OK, so I have bitten the bullet and looking to get one of these installed.

They range in price from £10 to £90 ..... any recommendations ?

thanks
Stokey Sue

Re: Door Key Safes

Post by Stokey Sue »

Mine is this one, seems fine
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAXUS-SECURITY ... B07D3YH6MK

A locksmith tried to sell me on that needs a battery but I decided that was not a good idea, as it's so seldom used (unless there are carers or cleaners using it for regular visits) that anything that requires maintenance - even replacing batteries - seems a bad idea

What I like about it:
Good waterproof jacket, which being dark also makes it less obvious when mounted (mine actually needs wall mounting)
Buttons to press - the alternative is a combination lock, but for me that seemed far too fiddly for outdoor use

Here's the combination versions
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAXUS-SECURITY ... 117&sr=8-6
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

This is the one I have - it seems very strong. It's like the one Sue linked to (but much cheaper!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I was just looking online to see if I could see one similar to a pretty standard one that a relative had. Once the combination had been punched in the flap immediately fell downwards and the key would fall out onto the ground (one learned to open it gingerly!). It was a nuisance at night because you couldn't always see where it had fallen and is something I would watch out for to see if there was something better or if the key could be lightly secured inside.

Whilst looking, I found this on a site about house insurance ... wonder if anyone's ever bothered? :?
'As with many insurance related questions, having a definitive answer is difficult due to the magnitude of policy variants. While a key safe is almost certainly more secure than the alternative of just hiding a key, we recommend always contacting your insurance provider first, in order to ensure that your policy won't be in jeopardy should you need to make a claim or to see if a specific outdoor key lock is required'.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Pampy's is the one I thought I'd find too hard to see in a poor light, I have trouble with some suitcase locks of that type

The one we had for my parents did that EM, but mine has quite a good hook so as long as there aren't too many keys on the bunch should be ok
Busybee

Post by Busybee »

Mums has a hook inside to hang the key on.

Good shout re insurance.

BB
PatsyMFagan

Post by PatsyMFagan »

Thanks everyone...plenty of food for thought. :thumbsup
Kacey

Post by Kacey »

We had to fit one to my Moms house in a hurry just before Xmas, a friend recommended this one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock- ... safe/93263

there's a smaller version, but this hold a set of keys on a little hook. Mom's house is an end of terrace and OH was able to fit it quite easily out of sight on the side of the porch, and everything you need, bar the drill to drill the holes, is included. It took minutes.

They can obviously be smashed open by anyone absolutely determined to get in, and some insurance companies can be a bit iffy about them.

We had no choice as Mom couldn't get to the door and was having carers visit 4 times a day