Kidney beans

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Binky

Kidney beans

Post by Binky »

We have a lot of tinned kidney beans. I went off them for ages due to taste changes (mostly the beans tasted either earthy or the spices in vegetarian chilli were too 'hot' for me, even at 1/4 strength).

My taste buds are improving and OH would like to use the canned beans, but the only recipes we can find are chillies, refrito beans, and a horrible sounding kidney bean curry).

Does anyone have ideas as to how to use these beans in an imaginative way? Not curried or chillied :D
Pampy

Re: Kidney beans

Post by Pampy »

I make a tuna salad - finely chopped onion, drained tuna, kidney beans, oregano, black pepper, olive oil and vinegar (I use balsamic). Just mix it all together.
Binky

Post by Binky »

That sounds lovely -- and easy
scullion

Post by scullion »

i used to make a lasagne recipe that was on the side of the packet of tesco's lasagne verdi. it was really good but haven't made it for years and i've lost the recipe but this one looks good, too - https://boldbeanco.com/blogs/beanspo-re ... an-lasagne.
i've also made a red bean paté which is good, too - i'm sure there are plenty of recipes on the web.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

Salad sprung to mind here too. In the late 70s, when we were working out recipes for our wholefood cafe, one of our favourites was chopped peppers and chopped tomatoes mixed with kidney beans and a vinaigrette dressing. It sounds boring nowadays but every time I have it I wonder why I don't make it more often.
Binky

Post by Binky »

scullion wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 pm i used to make a lasagne recipe that was on the side of the packet of tesco's lasagne verdi. it was really good but haven't made it for years and i've lost the recipe but this one looks good, too - https://boldbeanco.com/blogs/beanspo-re ... an-lasagne.
i've also made a red bean paté which is good, too - i'm sure there are plenty of recipes on the web.
Yea, lots but the ones I skimmed this morning were nearly all with spices of some sort. I've also found a recipe for mushroom and kidney bean pâté but that's for another day.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

I didn’t fancy red kidney bean curry (rajma) but then I had one last summer and it was delicious. I thought either Mamta or Chetna Maman would have a recipe, but they both start with a huge amount of dry beans, this recipe for canned seems plausible
https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/02/red- ... ean-curry/

I usually make red beans and rice with dry beans, but canned beans work well, and it’s nice with fish, chicken (doesn’t have to be jerk chicken) or just an avocado salad.
This probably a good way of using canned beans, though I’d leave out the scotch bonnet, maybe just use a tiny dash of hot sauce or a pinch of chilli powder (when using dry beans, the whole chilli is cooked with the beans to flavour the stock, then discarded). I think the garlic is optional too
https://www.recipetineats.com/jamaican-rice-and-peas/
Binky

Post by Binky »

10/10 for the smitten kitchen recipe. Here's our evening meal, vey simple to make according to OH, and he's keen to do it again after tasting it.

Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

Hurrah! :hi5:
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

Felicity strikes again, how to make nachos

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/a ... ity-cloake

Do I remember you are veggie? and how many tins need to be used?
Binky

Post by Binky »

For the kidney bean curry? OH did half quantities, so only one tin used. He also cut down heavily on the spices (about 1/4 used). Made a very mild dish but you can add spices to your taste of course.

As for being vegetarian, we were from 1976-2008. Then I got my first cancer and my diet changed somewhat. I found that I wanted meals such as liver, gravy and mash or a chicken casserole. I then went on to a second primary cancer in 2010 and we went back to eating meat a couple of times a week. The doctor said that it was likely (but not provable) that our healthy diet for much of our lives had helped in my recovery. We now have a meat dish twice a week and the rest are always a vegetarian meal.