Garlic powder

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
KeenCook

Garlic powder

Post by KeenCook »

Hello all, I vaguely recall having a brief discussion about garlic powder at some point in the past.

I'm thinking about investing in some, although I have always found that when I've tried it before I could taste it, and haven't liked it at all.

However, I daresay it's improved over the years!

Does anyone use it? And if so, have you found a brand you prefer / like?

My latest interest in experimenting with it again is that I was given a year's sub to Delicious for my birthday by a couple of friends clubbing together (lovely friends !!! ), and I have noticed that it has appeared in a couple of recipes I liked the look of.
herbidacious

Re: Garlic powder

Post by herbidacious »

I used smoked garlic granules. Mainly for enhancing ready prepared things, although I might put some in a bechamel or sprinkle on a baked potato. If I were cooking a big pot of something from scratch I'd use fresh garlic. But it's handy to have if you want to do something really quickly.

Bart and Waitrose make it. And Schwartz used to too but not seen that for a while.I think they have discontinued in the UK at least. (Ducros, the French branding for Schwarz/McCormick do it, still.)

I used to use Schwartz Garlic Italian seasoning under the same circumstances but that became hard to find.
Last edited by herbidacious on Sun May 05, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earthmaiden

Post by Earthmaiden »

I like it for the kind of things that Herbi has mentioned. I find it often adds depth to everyday things without being offensive. I just use Sainsburys own.
Pampy

Post by Pampy »

I use this one - actually tastes of garlic! https://www.ocado.com/products/cannamel ... -393059011
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

As I’ve said before I think there’s a difference between garlic powder and garlic granules, not in the way you use them, and not much in taste but powder looks like icing sugar, drifts around like icing sugar, and sets hard in the jar like royal icing or Polyfills. Though to be fair, onion powder is far worse (to the point where I no longer bother)

Garlic granules I think taste slightly nicer (arguable) but definitely keep better in a tightly closed jar. Both M&S and Waitrose sell little filled jars.

I use them quite often, apart from being there as a fall back, there are things like spice rubs which wet garlic would make tricky to handle, and of course it appears in recipes.

In a similar vein - bottled lemon juice, standby for when I don’t have a fresh lemon, but also to add to water when prepping veg like celeriac or cleaning fish, where you need quite a bit and it’s the acidity counts more than the flavour
Amber

Post by Amber »

I’m getting to be a big fan (lazy! :? :D ;) ) of M&S frozen garlic. And ginger. And chilli. I do use fresh, but I’m not sure I can really taste the difference.
scullion

Post by scullion »

i always have garlic powder in the pantry, have done for decades. i find it useful for when i run out of fresh or for things like chilli - and for other dishes that don't need 'subtlety', if you see what i mean.
i buy it loose from the zero plastic delivery or from the asian supermarket.
i think they are all much of a muchness - many brands probably come from the same producer...
KeenCook

Post by KeenCook »

Really helpful, thx all (I still seem to be on LA time, ought to try to go to bed really!)
northleedsbhoy

Post by northleedsbhoy »

I’ve tried both the powder and granules and I prefer the granules, I think it gives a taste more like real garlic. In fact I very rarely buy fresh garlic now except when I want to roast some, for spaghetti bolognaise etc these days I just use the granules.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup
Seatallan

Post by Seatallan »

Have to say, it takes me right back to my student/post-student backpacking days. Ah, the YHA (prepared on a grease encrusted baby-belling) stews I've enlivened with garlic powder or salt! :D
Uschi

Post by Uschi »

We've had problems with both powder and granules setting, and I now decant them into a small glass jar. So far, so good.