Mustard

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
Gruney

Mustard

Post by Gruney »

i've come across a simple recipe in Rukmini Iyer's "Indian Express", that would be just the job for tomorrow.It's "Roasted Cauliflower with Mustard, Chilli, and Lemon". It calls for 4 heaped tablespoons of Grainy Dijon mustard. I've never heard of that, and I've got no chance of ordering any by tomorrow - do you think some combination of smooth Dijon and whole grain mustard might do the trick, please?
herbidacious

Re: Mustard

Post by herbidacious »

I would have assumed it meant whole grain... does it say it's definitely not? Does she have an ingredients section?

edit: ah no (I realize I have a copy of this book. I must use it! Some lovely sounding things in there.)
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

I’m pretty sure I’ve bought wholegrain Dijon mustard in the past but not sure where from … knowing my shopping habits either a farm
shop or Wrose.

Having read this https://www.seriouseats.com/whole-grain ... ome-recipe

and going with what I’ve got in the cupboards I would soak whatever mustard seeds I’ve got in a hot mix of wine vinegar and water … by tomorrow the seeds will have swollen a bit and softened … then I’d pound them just a bit with a pestle and mortar or whatever and mix with bought Dijon … it’ll be as near as dammit. :thumbsup
Gruney

Post by Gruney »

Thanks both. I've just been to a farm shop, Lkland, ane Morrisons no luck. I think I'll just mix Dijon and wholegrain in a 3:1 ratio - it won't be perfect, but it won't kill me.
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

I think it’ll be virtually indistinguishable from the stuff used in the recipe.

Let us know how the recipe turns out. :D
herbidacious

Post by herbidacious »

She has an Instagram account. I wonder if she would answer if you asked her what she meant by it... or have you come across the concept before, Suffs?
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Yes as I said I’ve bought it in the past. Just can’t remember where … I’ll check Wrose this afternoon if I remember.
scullion

Post by scullion »

i would compare the flavour of both, as you have them, then decide if there's enough of a difference to bother with mixing them. i have always found that they taste pretty similar - just the different texture.
Stokey Sue

Post by Stokey Sue »

French whole grain mustard always in my fridge, French OH's favourite, and I do use it for the dressing of a cauliflower salad, or a version of celeriac remoulade. I don't see what else she could mean, though I'd mark Ms Iyer down a point for "baby talk"
This is the current one, though there are other brands eg Pommery - I think mine did come from Morrisons. Any whole grain mustard would do, this one is relatively mild compared to some English ones such as Tracklements but mustard mellows a lot when heated

ETA I've just noticed it doesn't say Dijon on the label, that's because Unlilever don't manufacture it in Dijon since they took over Maille, but they haven't noticeably changed it, unlike the tartare sauce
Suffs

Post by Suffs »

Nothing other than the Pommery and Maille in Wrose both of which I buy from time to time, but are not what I was thinking of. The one I had was much creamier with less wholegrain … must’ve been from a farmshop.